Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Home Server Problems

• Please log in to reply

K3NnY

K3NnY

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi guys, I've got a problem:
I have a Network with 3 Computers all hooked up to my Netgear router, I started a Teamspeak Server on one of them and wanted to know my IP so I went to whatismyip.com and noticed that for every pc it shows the same IP. :whistling: So that probably is the IP of my router, but I need the IP of the on pc with the TS server running! :blink:

Please help! :help:

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
On the PC with the TS Server running, open a command prompt window.
Type "ipconfig" (without quotes). Press [ENTER]

That should give you a bunch of IP numbers.

K3NnY

K3NnY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
That will only give me my Home Network IP adresses, I would need the dynamic IP so my friends online could connect to my TS server.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
start > run > cmd > ipconfig, will give you the ip address of the local machine
whatsmyip.com will give you your public ip

what you need to do is configure port forwarding on your router to forward all TS traffic comming into your router's outside interface (public ip) to your TS server (the ip from the ipconfig)

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
you could go to www.danasoft.com. that will probably show your machines IP.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
let's make this a little clear...the local lan ip (the ip of the workstation) is irrellevant to anyone who's not connected to your network...i'll make a guess that your machine's ip is either 192.168.0.something...or .1.something so are half of the computers on the planet....the public ip (the ip you get from your ISP that's assigned to your modem which in turn assigns an ip in the same range to your router) is the one people outside of your house will need...but that ip does nothing for them if your router doesn't know what to do with it...hence the port forwarding...which tells your router that anything on port 2525 (fictional port for this reference) that comes in on the outside interface should go directly to 192.168.0.2 (fictional ip of your server)...that way when they put in the public ip (like 198.232.223.4 or whatever)...then they will get to your TS server

K3NnY

K3NnY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I now set my router to foward any traffic on port 3000(UDP)(My TS server port) to my server.
Thanks for your help, I'm not so good with networking!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
let us know if it works

K3NnY

K3NnY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Yeah I just asked my friend to connect, it works Woohoo!!
thx for your help

Edited by K3NnY, 19 July 2006 - 07:40 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
as a point of reference...unless you've purchased a static ip from your isp (doubt that you have)...you may end up having to give your friends a different ip every so often....so if they say "yo dude i can't connect" the first thing you should do is go to whatsmyip and double check that number...if it's different...tell them to change it on their end and it should work again

K3NnY

K3NnY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I've been messing with my router to get it to work till now but I had the same IP all the time. It might be that I've got a static IP with my contract.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it's possible.... a simple call to your isp will confirm that....depending on how large your isp is...and how many ip's they have for use...your ip address lease could be anywhere from a few hours to a month or so (not likely to be a month...but it happens)...most ISP's won't give you a static ip unless you request it...some will however...either keep monitoring your ip to see if it changes...or give your isp a call when you have time..either way you'll be able to find out if it changes