Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

windows xp sp2 will not update

• Please log in to reply

chickenhobby

chickenhobby

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Evertime i try to get windows xp to update my sp1 to sp2 it says it can not update my computer. I went through the microsoft help but no one has gotten back to me and it has been a week. What is going on? Why won't it update? I just cleaned my machine up last week from a bunch of spyware so i was wanting to update it now. The firewall will not start either when i click on it.

chickenhobby

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you download SP2...to your computer

chickenhobby

chickenhobby

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Here's what i do i go to microsoft update and have it look to see what updates i need and it says i need to download sp2. So i click on download then it pretends to download vary fast like 2secs and says this update is already on my computer if i click on the download it will finish the download. So click on it and it says updates were unable to install sucessfully

Problem: A problem on your computer is preventing updates from being downloaded or installed
Solution: To fix the problem, try installing the updates again. If that doesn't work, use the Troubleshooter to try solve the problem.

troubleshooter is no help, any ideas it does this with every update i try to install from microsoft.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
look on your computer for SP2...its about 500 MB file...if its there ...go here and get windows installer 3.1 and install it first...

http://www.softpedia...Installer.shtml

chickenhobby

chickenhobby

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
could not find it on my computer where should it be? I downloaded installer no i need sp2.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then search, include hidden and system files, look for sp2 and hope for 220 files

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here to get it..you can also have them mail it( the CD) to you free...

http://www.microsoft...p2/default.mspx

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
[attachment=9776:attachment]You can find out what service pack your using by >>>>start>>>MY COMPUTER>>>RIGHT CLICK...CLICK ON PROPERTIES>>>>.......SEE MY ATTACHMENT