Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Passwords on folders?

• Please log in to reply

Matt L

Matt L

• PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
Is there a way to put passwords on folders (for windows)? Someone told me that they've seen it done before, and someone's told me that they can't do it and that you have to buy a software or something.

[It's to hide a little something something. :whistling:]

Thanks.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
On XP Pro you can make a compressed folder and assign a password to the files you put in it. With XP Home you can't assign a password, but if you install Winzip you can make 'zip' files (which are really folders) and Winzip lets you assign a password to it.

Matt L

Matt L

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
How do I zip files files?

Nikul

Nikul

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
Right Click a folder > Sen To > Compressed Folder.

Or download Winzip or Winrar.

Just Google either.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
another way...

To make your folders private

1. Open My Computer

2. Double-click the drive where Windows is installed (usually drive (C:), unless you have more than one drive on your computer).

If the contents of the drive are hidden, under System Tasks, click Show the contents of this drive.

3. Double-click the Documents and Settings folder.

4. Double-click your user folder.

5. Right-click any folder in your user profile, and then click Properties.

6. On the Sharing tab, select the Make this folder private so that only I have access to it check box.

Note
•

To open My Computer, click Start, and then click My Computer.
•

This option is only available for folders included in your user profile. Folders in your user profile include My Documents and its subfolders, Desktop, Start Menu, Cookies, and Favorites. If you do not make these folders private, they are available to everyone who uses your computer.
•

When you make a folder private, all of its subfolders are private as well. For example, when you make My Documents private, you also make My Music and My Pictures private. When you share a folder, you also share all of its subfolders unless you make them private.
•

You cannot make your folders private if your drive is not formatted as NTFS