Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Memory running low

• Please log in to reply

spindm

spindm

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hope someone here can help,

When I try to open a powerpoint file I get a pop-up that says "memory running low". How can I clear out the memory or is that even possible? What info do you need to help? Here is some that will hopefully help:

Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)

384 Megabytes Installed Memory
Slot 'A0' has 512 MB
Slot 'A1' is Empty
Slot 'A2' is Empty
Slot 'A3' is Empty

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 195.26 GB 173.45 GB free
d: (FAT32 on drive 0) 4.77 GB 2.91 GB free

Thanks,
Mike

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
start > run > mscomfig > startup. Uncheck everything which is not related to antivirus/spyware program. Press apply > ok > allow to restart. When you get a message during startup check the box and click OK. This operation will clear the memory from all programs that go up automatically when you boot the computer. Usually you don't need them. They take lots of memory space and slow startup.

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
download tune up utilities trial 2006. start 1-click maintenance. then go to optimize & improve and follow all the programs there.

Any faster?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The amount of memory you have is marginal. Even with 512 Mb i have problems with the low memory error. All my computers are running 1 gig of memory now. You can up your page file in office and it will help some. I usually set mine to 1.5 times my physical memory. Disabel the fastfind indexer in office as it runs all the time taking up memory. I also will turnoff my antivirus because of the amount of memory its always using. The only time i really need the AV is when i'm on the net. Open up your task manager, set it to the performance tab and put it down to the taskbar. Then open a power point file and try running it. Pop you taskmanager back up and see by the graph how much memory and page files you used. If it maxed out in a spike thats where the error came from. Sometimes PP will do this on the first file you start and then run fine after that. I have even killed some of the processes that i can get away with when working with office.

SRX660