Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Graphics card overheating

• Please log in to reply

Samjula

Samjula

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
Since the hot weather started my graphics card has been getting very hot too. With an average idle temperature of around 64C and if i try to play any of my games it rises to as much as 100C and above making the pc crash. Obviously this is partly due to the hotter weather but it shouldnt really be getting that hot should it? Especially as i have relocated it to the coolest room in my house and it still reaches extremely high temperautes. My CPU is coping fine with respectable temperatures under 50C. Is there anything i can purchase to cool my graphics card so i am able to use my pc properly, such as extra heatsinks or something? If so what am i looking for? The graphics card i have is a eVga 7800gt 256mb pci-e.

Thanks, Sam

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The poor graphics card really doesnt get much flow around it so it stays hotter than the rest of the computer. I have gone to the extreme by taking the side cover off the computer and setting a house fan blowing into it. I have also used one of these fan cards to help keep the gpu cooler.

http://www.thinkgeek...ng/pcmods/6937/

Adding more exhaust fans could help if you have the room in the case. many time a fan near the bottom in the front of the caseblowing air in will help the gpu stay cooler. the 7800 uses a lot of watts(near 75) so that is a lot of heat to get rid of. You could also try a aftermarket cooler for the gpu.

http://www.xoxide.com/vgacoolers.html

http://www.directron...gpucoolers.html

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 19 July 2006 - 08:09 AM.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. I suggest checking inside the case to make sure there are no obstructions to the air flow around the GPU. If possible, add some case fans to improve air flow and over all cooling.
The manufacturer of the card has tech support available and may have other ideas directly related to this product. Check out http://www.evga.com/...?...t&family=22

Samjula

Samjula

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Hi, thanks for replying, would you say that the aftermarket coolers are much more efficient than the standard cooling and worth purchasing, ive got a few slots spare in my pc and will probably get one of those slot cooling fans. Thanks again.

Sam

WindyPants

WindyPants

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Unless your talking about very high end GPU's, after market coolers are typically more efficient.

But I kind of agree with all of the earlier posters with regards to moving more air through your case. Back in the day when I was into Overclocking everything in sight, 3-4 oversize case fans + a large DC fan mounted on the side cover was the minimum.

I'm afraid if you simply by a GPU cooler you may just be moving the hot air in your case around more rapidly. I think the combination of more or bigger case fans and a GPU cooler would be the ticket.

Samjula

Samjula

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
At the moment, i have one 80mm akasa case fan at the front of the pc, at the bottom, blowing cold in inwards over my hdd and towards the gfx card. I have another one of these higher up at the back, blowing cool air in for the cpu/mobo (i used to have this extracting air, but the air being extracted always seem to be cool so i tried it round the other way, havent really noticed much change). Also on the bottom of my PSU there is a 120mm fan sucking in warm air front the rest of the pc and releasing it out through the back. On the side of the case i have another 80mm case fan bringing in cool air that i have recently placed there (used to be a funnel that came with the case, that is supposed to channel cold air to the cpu i think, although i removed this because i thought it was blocking the air flow from the case fan at the back. Ive bought an extractor blower fan to go in a pci gap below my graphics card and might buy some thermaltake stick-on extra copper heatsinks for the gfx card as they arent that expensive. (http://www.thermalta...-C002526BGA.htm)

Ive been trying to fans round different ways to try and see which is the most effective but havent really got very far. What do you think is the best way to arrange them?

Edited by Samjula, 19 July 2006 - 04:43 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You have messed up your fan config by the sounds of it, the CPU duct even if it blocks some airflow if you have it use it cpu is the biggest heat source if you remove the heat directly with the duct the whole pc will be cooler. You have to many fans going in and not enough out, you want the front to be an intake and the rear outtake to maintain pressure and airflow.

Ramsinks wont do much as the RAM isnt whats causing the heat problems itll be down to the two procesing units the CPU and GPU, if you improve the cooling of those and with good enough airflow in the case the problem will be sorted.

Aftermarket coolers are alot better ive got a VF-900 for my x800 dropped the temps by at least 20C over the stock. And CPU coolers are generally alot better as well in the aftermarket vareity.

Samjula

Samjula

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
I changed the fans around many times and had the little funnel on and off, but with every combination it seems to still overheat.

WindyPants

WindyPants

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hmmm.....

Sounds like you have enough fans. What's the ambient temp of the area?

After you have the fans oriented correctly, and you have added CPU/GPU coolers, and you still have issues, take a look at the website below.

http://www.xoxide.co...cessories1.html

Just another of a billion more robust cooling sites.

Phase II could include:
Though it would require cutting of your case's lid, you could mount a 120mm fan on the removable side panel and then re-orient your internal fans to blow outwards.

The Hillbilly version of the above is to remove the side case, and stick a large house fan pointing towards the major CPU guts.

If these options did not work, and the ambient temp of the surrounding area is realistic, a new case might be ticket.

Samjula

Samjula

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Yeh, i was thinking of getting a nice new antec case as they seem to have good cooling, at the moment ive got the fans changed round again and the side off with some spare 8cm fans hooked up and blowing into it and its a lot more stable. My cpu is fine even without the extra fans, but the graphics card still gets too hot. I think im either going to buy a new case with better ventilation or an aftermarket cooler for my graphics card. Any recommendations? (for evga 7800gt).

Thanks for all the help

Edited by Samjula, 20 July 2006 - 07:59 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
VF900 is the best you can buy at the moment its a little pricey though, its easier to buy a new case than it is to mod the things sure its sometimes fun but you usually end up ruining the case and the fact is if you cut a fan mounting in the top or side you end up compromising the structure of the case as fan points need to be able to handle the strain of having a fan.

Have you cleaned out the case thouroghly and also you should get hold of some arcitc silver 5 and take of your CPU hsf and GPU hsf clean and refit them, you use alcohol and cotton buds to clean of old thermal compound clean the fans and the fins then apply the new compound as per the instructions and refit you can get better temps with a good thermal compound its not as good as a new HSF but its a start.