Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networking

• Please log in to reply

Lucy01

Lucy01

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am trying to set up my DVR to be able to connect to it remotely through the internet. I have a Netopia router (bellsouth DSL). My computers are all connected to the Netopia presently.
The DVR asks for the following info: Static IP, Netmask, Gateway, and DNS server.
I have entered the info for the netopia router here. Is this correct?

On the Netopia router do I need to set up a pinhole? As you can tell, I am far from an expert, but probably familiar enough with networking to do this with some guidance.
The DVR is a Nuvico. It has software, but also can run over the internet with WEB CMS.

Thanks very much for any help.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
on the DVR the Static ip should be an ip in the same range as your other computer attached to the router not the router's actuall internal ip address (such as 192.168.0.1..the ip used to manage the router...the ip for the dvr in this case should be something like 192.168.0.4 or something) the default gateway should be your router's internal ip address (the one you type in your webbrowser to set it up) the dns server should be the same as whatever it is on the other computers connected to the router (do start > run > cmd > ipconfig /all to find this out)

as far as your router config..you'll need to set up portforwarding (i'm assuming that's what y ou meant by a "pinhole") to forward traffic over to the DVR....you may need to check the manual for the dvr to find out what port you need to be forwarding to

Lucy01

Lucy01

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I am able to connect to the DVR from all computers on the LAN, but haven't configured something correctly to be able to connect remotely. On the LAN, I can connect either through the software, or through internet explorer.
I am trying to connect by using the static IP, follwed by the port. I get an error message, Page not found.
I am guessing I need to change something in the router to allow the connection, but not sure what it is.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
for access to it from outside...you'll need to set up portforwarding so that you can use your public ip to access the dvr's internal lip...