Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing Linux (64-bit)

• Please log in to reply

W-Unit

W-Unit

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Alright, well I have decided to finally install Linux on my new computer, which is an AMD Athlon 64 3400+

So, I pop in the Ubuntu 64-bit install CD (I've tried both the "desktop" (Dapper Drake) and "alternate" (Text-based) installs) and hit "Install in text mode" or whatever it was. I get a bunch of gibberish, then at the bottom it says Kernel Panic - not syncing - Attempted to kill init! and it stays there forever. I've left it on for hours and it still stays there.

SO i decided to see if it was just the distro and tried installing MEPIS. I'm assuming the same thing happened because the progress bar got stuck under the "F" in F2 at that one screen where it says "Press F2 for info", and that seemed like a progress bar that should go pretty fast.

I've already posted this on the Ubuntu forums and nobody seems to know anything.

Anybody got any ideas at all? This is really getting on my last nerve here.

Ps. Yes, I did check the md5 sum of the .iso's and no, it wasn't a bad burn, because I tried each version (dapper drake and text-based) twice and burned at 2x just to make sure.

Edited by W-Unit, 19 July 2006 - 09:19 AM.

Advertisements

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Does this happen with any other distro, or just ubuntu?