Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can someone answer this?

• Please log in to reply

wa lau

wa lau

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi,this is how my story goes.my fren gave me a ,maxtor 20gb hdd.its got some bad sectors but he said he reformatted it.so i took it back,changed my bios settings and installed it.my system was able to detect it(good) and at first i was even able to set my swap files to be located on my new drive.so everything was good.but my problems started when my hands got a little itchy.i took out my new and old hdd and tried to reverse the master and slave order.(my old hdd was the master drive).it failed,of course.so i swapped it back and thats when all the problems started coming in.u see,when i installed my new hdd back to the original position my system doesnt recognise it anymore.i wasnt able to see it when i double-clicked on 'my computer' icon.when i tried to set the virtual memory settings for my swap files to the new drive but cant see it as well.altho when i went to device manager it was there but other than that i cant access it.and so i did a partitioning and a formating using my system(win xp).no good.after the partitioning my system took one whole day to format it but was only able to format 6% of it.and so i aborted the formatting thing.2nd time i tried to do it with MaxBlast4,it took just a short while but my system still doesnt detect it.and so i restarted my pc and it detected my drive.but this time round my whole system slowed to almost a halt.so much so that a simple click took abt 15min to execute.i even had to shut down my system by switching off the main power switch.so..... fed up with everything,i took out the hdd.and everything is as good as new now,without that hard disk.u know,i'm not the kind to give up so easily,judging from the amount of time wasted on this 20gb hdd.i dun intend to install it again but i'm curious to find out.why is this happening? :whistling:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the drive is probably failing miserably...your computer probably slowed to a crawl because you moved your page files over to the failing drive and while it wasn't working the system was still trying to use it (and probably having alot of trouble doing so)...if you feel like doing so you could plug the drive back in and run a chkdsk on it...but from your description it's probably not worth it...chuck it in the trash

wa lau

wa lau

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Tx for the advice bro.