Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Freezes When Running Games

• Please log in to reply

Zanghor

Zanghor

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Current Setup ( just built )

Asus a8n Motherboard
1 TDK DVDRW
1 LG with lightscribe DVDRW
AMD64 4200 x2
nvidia 7900GTX OC
kingston 1GB Ram
kingston 512GB Ram
thermaltake 400w power supply ( i think this may be causing it cause it only really happens when my video card begins to be pushed but i would also think that it would shut off as opposed to freeze up )

When i start to play a game it will just freeze up. I don't know exactly what is happening because i was able to play Unreal Tournament 2004 full max graphics for about 20 mins when i first built it just to test the card and it seemed to run fine no freezing or restart or anything. Now when i try to run Half Life 2 or Final FAntasy XI it just freezes.

This is like my seventh computer i built in the past couple years and all the others seem to run fine so i don't think that it is really anything that "I" did to it but who knows. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

-Z-

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Zanghor!

Download Speedfan, using the link in my signature (The download link is in the first line of the second paragraph), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the temperatures it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

It would be especially useful if you could post the temperatures of your computer when just idling (aka not doing anything), and also the temperatures after your computer freezes and you have rebooted your computer.

Fenor

Attached Thumbnails

• SpeedFanExample.JPG

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your power supply might be the problem...most PSUs only supply about 70 to 80 % of the rated capacity..with your high end hardware you might be running a little short of power using a 400 W .....using 80% X 400 is only 320 W

Zanghor

Zanghor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
That was my thought and fear :whistling:. I hadn't even thought to check the PSU before i started hooking everything up, but at the end i thought that it possibly could be but my only reason i wasnt sure on that was my thought was that if it was the PSU it would completely fail and just shut my computer off or at the very least restart it. I was just curious as if the PSU almost like just releases the hardware that puts it over the max{ the video card } which would obviously cause it to freeze. I am going to get the BFG 650W 12V PSU at Comp USA, i hope that will work and again, thank you for your quick and inforative response.

-Z-