Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ethernet Card -- Please Help

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

jlbhohenwarter

jlbhohenwarter

• Pip
  • 3 posts
H y'all. . . . . I need some help. . . .

I have an old copmaq Presario desktop. It was bought in 1999 and runs on windows 98. We bought a Lynksys etherfast 10/100 Ethernet card and had it installed back in ’99 when we first bought the computer. If it came with an install CD – we no longer have it.

We’re trying to get the desktop back up and running so we can use it as a second computer. We re-installed windows using the recovery disk the computer came with.

We have broadband internet at home. The internet was working fine on the computer a few months ago before we re-installed windows. Now the computer doesn’t seem to understand there is still an Ethernet card in it, and we’re unable to connect it to the internet. We have the install CD for our broadband internet, but we get the following error when we try to install it:

“You must install a network adapter before continuing.”

We’ve tired adding the hardware ourselves, and we’ve used the “connection wizard” but it doesn’t work. Under the device manager under “system” in the control panel, it lists the ethernet card but there is a yellow explanation point next to it.

Is there anything I can do, or do I need to buy a new etnernet card and install it properly?
Or is there any other way I can get the computer to understand that it’s connected to the internet? Under “connections” under “internet options” we have “automatically detect settings” under LAN Settings checked.

Help! ThanksJ

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.geekstogo...s...=122576&hl= duplicate