Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CS FPS

• Please log in to reply

The Colonel

The Colonel

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
I am at my Mom's for today, so I brought an old rig from my basement over. VERY Basic Specs(ask if you need more info):

P4 1.6 GHz
GeForce FX5700 LE
768 PC 2700 RAM

I am trying to squeeze 100 FPS on CS 1.6 with this. I run it at 800x600. Any tweaks would be good too, THANKS

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Why 100 its a meaningless number 100fps wont get you anywhere youll have a whole ton of useless frames. I never get the whole CS 100FPS thing its myth 100 does nothing for you its the reason alot of new games are capped at 50.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
As long as the FPS are at least 30 it'll look the same (give or take) as if it were at 100.

Maybe you can answer this for me Colonel. What's with peoples obssesions with having obscene amounts of FPS in games? Why can't they settle for like 40? Why does it have to be 100?

The Colonel

The Colonel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
Because my FPS drops and changes from 10 to 40 to 20 to 70 to 10 to 80 and it hurts my eyes and affects my gameplay. Also, I tend to notice the spray is faster and AWP is when I am at a steady 70+.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Having steady FPS is a whole boat entirely form high FPS, as you have seen high fps means diddly if it aint stable, you might try turning vsync on lowers the fps but smooths it out.

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
If you get over 40 your fine. The only thing is you cant have over 100 fps anyway. Even with my gfx card i get like 70-100fps but I get 70+ on CS:S so im not complaining. You could drop your resolution even lower but it looks soo bad try setting everything to low and search for configs on the internet i dont play CS 1.6 much and i get an alright frame rate so I dont use configs. I know someone who has a 1GHz Celeron and intergrated gfx and he can run day of defeat: source at 30fps so ur pc should be fine with most games.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You might want to stick the res up to 1024 some cards have bother with 800 by 600.

The Colonel

The Colonel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
I'll try VSync, I have had it off since...ever.

J0hn

J0hn

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
Did some fps searches in google and ended up here haha, since I'm not a stranger to the forum, I'll make a quick post.

Type the following in console:

fps_max 100

^ See if the above makes a difference. Some say it helps but not for me. But yea it wouldn't hurt to set it and leave it to 100 maybe you'll get lucky and it will boom up to 100. I get around 30 to 50 fps and I go against people with 60 to 70 and I own. It's a matter of strafing and controlling your recoil. From what I've heard, the human eye can only see to 70 fps and no more. I never saw 100 fps before. Having vsync off is a good thing, afaik. I've never heard of anyone leaving it on.

If your fps drops and changes from 10 to 40 to 20 to 70 then that's normal gameplay. You can not have a SOLID 50 or 60 fps as far as I know. Sometimes the location from where you're playing affects fps too especially latency, so try playing at a closer zone.

Also you said that your eyes hurt when you play? How does fps hurt your eyes? I think you're talking about the high latency(lag spikes) that your're getting????

If that's the case then type the following in console:

cl_cmdupdate 101
cl_cmdrate 101
rate 20000 (default is 9999 I think)

^ Try the above and see if it helps your lag issues. For most people it does. If not then you can either leave it as is or reset it back to default.

You can try setting your display(screen resolution) to the max instead of 800x600. Oh yea and go over to your control panel/display/settings and set it to 16bit instead of 32bit, see if that helps.

crustygloves

crustygloves

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
those rates are different for everyone
rate 25000 is also a better rate for most people

and i only get 9-20 fps (9 being the absolute minimum) and i still manage to do alright

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
type in console net_graph3 and then if there is any choke change ur rates till its only 1 or 2. The higher the choke the lower the fps. 20 fps in unplayable in my opion its so choppy and u get out reactioned all the time.

The Colonel

The Colonel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
I have all those rates, I fixed it though.