Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX 420 Gone

• Please log in to reply

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
When I installed Windows Vista it installed divers for my NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX 420 but when I tried to run a game it said that they were out of date so I ran the Vista Driver update for GeForce cards by NVIDIA and it said that I do not have any compatible cards so I (very stupidly) went ahead and installed the old XP drivers in compatibility mode. Well it installed them but as soon as I try to run a game or run any video files I got a BSOD relating to the driver file. So i rebooted and loaded Vista then uninstalled the drivers, well then it said to reboot again, so I did. Well now it has not re-installed the original GeForce MX 420 drivers and instead has installed 'Standard VGA Graphics Adapter' well this doesnt work. All my graphics are a little slower and my games wont run as I do not meet the requirements needed. Please could someone help me get back the original drivers that vista installed (without having to format and start again.)

Any help will be very much appreciated. Thankyou.

Posted Image

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
try going to windows update and see if they have a new driver listed there for vista

CJIS

CJIS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
That would be the first logical choice and that is exactly what I would do, .... If it worked. It just constantly goes on and on and finds nothing, it just always says checking for updates. If I set the automatic update to a certain time it gets to that time and says 'Windows Can't update'

Edited by CJIS, 19 July 2006 - 01:04 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hehehe...nice...i would assume your install of vista is in fact capable of getting online correct?

CJIS

CJIS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Well I am browsing the web using vista now (with dodgy graphics) and Windows update had updated before this. Looking at the update history it says that the last update failed (this update is an important update) and now it doesnt update.

CJIS

CJIS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
OK Reinstalled Vista, had no choice. The reason my updates weren't working was becuase McAfee Total protection beta was blocking them even after being set not to. After disabling the firewall they were still being blocked. So I wont be using that again. After reinstaling Vista, all is good, but Windows is saying that my Graphics card has 0MB of total memory (How can this be possible??). Also when trying to run some games it says that my graphics card drivers are out of date and need updating but NVIDIA currently Don't offer Vista Drivers for my card, and there are some small graphics issues in my games. All works fine sometimes but other times there is white flashing bits in my game, and then all will dissapear (this doesn't happen all of the time, but is slightly annoying.)

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Well, that card is old now right? I think you should really be looking towards an upgrade of the card.

CJIS

CJIS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Well I am certainly waiting for an upgrade and hope to get one soon, but I was just wondering why (while I still had this card).