Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

rundll error

• Please log in to reply

alaineli

alaineli

• Pip
  • 2 posts
We have a fairly New Compaq laptop, with uptodate Norton Anti Virus. In the past couple of weeks, we noticed it starting to go slow,etc. and last night it froze.

two problems:
--sometimes we get the runtime library error, right after we enter the Windows userid/password. It says
Program:???\C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
This application requested runtime to terminate it.

-- if we dont get this error, we get the past the initial Windows screen, into the "wallpaper" screen -- with 0 icons or program bar, etc...and get this error

runsdll
Error loading C:\WINDOWS\system32\guard.tmp
Specified module could not be found
and
Dynamic link library initiation routine failed

and then it freezes!!!!!

Please help! if you geekey friTends could help, it would be awesome...otherwise I will have to take it in to the geeks at BestBuy for a buck!
thank you so much!@!!!
alaineli

Advertisements

akauf

akauf

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have the exact same problem. Please help.

alaineli

alaineli

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Please note that I had to take my computer in for servicing and it was diagnosed with a sector problem on the hard drive. Since it was fairly new and under warranty, the hard drive will be fixed (or replaced) by the manufacturer. However, I had to pay to backup the data...and will have to re-install all programs once I get it back!!!

mgmarchman

mgmarchman

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have the same problem. Started this morning.

Turn PC on, Windows starts, CTL/ALT/DLT and type in password and hit enter, get the following Message Box:

Microsoft Visual c++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error !
Program:???\C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
This application requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the Applications Support team for more information."

Sometimes get to the desktop, but cannot do anything (have to power off) or it reboots itself.

Any assistance is MUCH appreciated

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Just for your information at this time, see Runtime Error.

You ddin't mention the error number so this may not be relevant, but all info is useful to some degree.

Ron

mgmarchman

mgmarchman

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ron;

Thanks for the reply - I am not getting any error number, just the verbiage "Runtime Error". Then I am dead in the water. Does not complete login, so I can't even look for or diagnose anything.

THX