Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

strange hardware failure

• Please log in to reply

Masterplan

Masterplan

• Pip
  • 6 posts
had this one AMD Athlon socket 462 1200+ pc, Soltek SL-75KAV mobo, Geforce 2 gfx card, brand new power supply, for a while now. and often when fiddling with the hardware, replacing any component (most recently the lan card) after doing so, the thing powers up and refuses to turn on. no beeps codes, monitor initialises then powers off, then if you leave it for a few hours it decides to turn on again fine.
simple i'm thinking, CPU or mobo.
so ... got another socket 462 athlon 1400 upstairs in a perfectly fine working pc. unplug them both, take the cpus out, switch them over. and still the pc doesnt work. same as before ... so its the motherboard right? wrong. tried the other pc (now with the original processor in it) and now thats doing the exact same thing.
BOTH?
so i give it up take the cpus back out swap them back over to their original pcs. now theyre BOTH doing it!
could i have a faulty mobo in pc 1, which then fried the new cpu as soon as i changed it over?

i'm seriously stumped here. and with 2 pcs that ... before putting in a (brand) new lan card in one earlier today. were working fine.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

so i give it up take the cpus back out swap them back over to their original pcs. now theyre BOTH doing it!
could i have a faulty mobo in pc 1, which then fried the new cpu as soon as i changed it over?

it's possible...but before you fall out of the chair..

try resetting your bios...there's a chance that the MOBO wasn't so happy about the processor switch...just unplug teh computer from the wall and remove the CMOS battery...then hold in the power button for about 5 seconds...put the battery back in and try to start it up

Masterplan

Masterplan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

it's possible...but before you fall out of the chair..

try resetting your bios...there's a chance that the MOBO wasn't so happy about the processor switch...just unplug teh computer from the wall and remove the CMOS battery...then hold in the power button for about 5 seconds...put the battery back in and try to start it up

well, just tried that with pc 2. no joy. same thing, power on drives flash keyboard lights up .. nothing.

pc 1 is now just a motherboard connected to a psu with basics in it sat on a newspaper on my bed. just trying to get to bios ...

update!! pc1 with mouse/keyb/gfx/mobo/psu and thats it ... shows bios ... now t stick it back in the case

Edited by Masterplan, 19 July 2006 - 01:38 PM.

Masterplan

Masterplan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
welll ... it was a short. pc1 got to bios .. i came downstairs to update the post, went back upstairs and the thing was smoking all over. cpu gone, gfx card gone, probably the ram chip too and there was a tiny burn mark on the paper underneath the motherboard which probably means thats gone too.

dont know what to blame other than the weather atm

Edited by Masterplan, 19 July 2006 - 01:48 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
catastrophic failure indeed

Masterplan

Masterplan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
oki. so pc 1 no longer exists ... which leaves me with pc 2. with the same problem as before. lights on, no-ones home.
could putting that cpu into pc 1 that was faulty have done something to the chip that isnt visible. doesnt look burnt to me.

is there some other explaination as to why after the switch pc 2 is doing the same.
i'm loathe to fiddle with the hardware again today given the humidity is so high

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
quite possible that pc1's motherboard took out the pc2's processor...

Masterplan

Masterplan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
there was no burn marks/smell/noise and remember that i did get pc1 to bios again before it exploded.
so it should still be ok

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
okay then you didn't install it correctly.... Or something else in the computer died.

Masterplan

Masterplan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
no, it was all installed correctly. i suspect it could be the humidity, so i'll leave it overnight, and have a try again tomorrow. if there's still a problem i no longer have any working replacements fr diagnostics. will probably have to take it to a repair shop. which i'm understandably loathe to do.