Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Redhat Super Newbie!

• Please log in to reply

Darth Mike

Darth Mike

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Im 100% New to linux. I have this machine at home that wont run any other copy of windows, so far I have had no complaints, I like linux a WHOLE LOT. BUT... Its a little hard to get used to, I mean, where the [bleep] is my hard drive??? All I see is this folder that they force me to call home and strand me there!! Where are alll the programs I installl???!! Forgive my frustration. :whistling: I just really need :help: I know Ill get used to it eventually, Ive just been brain washed by Windows thats alll. :blink: (Forgive me I didnt know any better) Anyway, I want to run games on linux but I cant get wine to run the exe files needed to install my games.

Specifics:

Want to install FF8 (Best game of all time)

Want to installl The Sims 2

Want to know where to find the so called wine program

Would REALLY appreciate any data.

Thanks allot in advance!!!!! :)

Advertisements

chickenman

chickenman

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
The start of the hard drive is located at '/', unlike Windows everything is under '/' including mounted devices such as the cdrom drive.

Root (super user) software can be found in '/bin/'
User software can be found in '/usr/bin'
I'm not sure if FF8 and The Sims 2 can be run under wine, Windows games do not run in Linux, you may have some luck with Wine, but still don't expect them to work.