Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Old Game, New Windows

• Please log in to reply

CHAOSKILLER

CHAOSKILLER

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Okay so around 98 i got a game by the name of Pirates: Captain's Quest. Now the game was made in 98 and has the following system requirements

Windows
Windows 3.1 or Windows 95
486-50 or faster
8MB of RAM
Hard drive (8MB free space)
Double-speed CR-ROM drive
SVGA adapter and monitor (at least 256 colors)
Windows compatible sound card
Mouse
Optional: Internet connection and Web browser for Web Link feature

Now I have all of these except for the version of windows. mine is XP. is there any way i can run the game on my current pc?

Also when i insert the game into my drive it say " Can not find SHELL.DLL" it says this twice when you click close you get this message. "Internal Error!" any way i could find shell.dll?

Edited by CHAOSKILLER, 19 July 2006 - 06:48 PM.

Advertisements

teamgrowth

teamgrowth

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I think you should go through the documentation of particular game and learn about running the game in a pure 32-bit environment, also check the patches and try to update it. If this not solve your problem you should get support from micrsoft.

jeroen

jeroen

• Pip
  • 4 posts
try to right click on the icon and select properties. now go to compatibiliteit and set it to play at windows 95.

i think it will work

mxdz

mxdz

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Also when i insert the game into my drive it say " Can not find SHELL.DLL" it says this twice when you click close you get this message. "Internal Error!" any way i could find shell.dll?

Ok , you got 3 options

- removed link, staff needs to approve first. software was unverified
- Download ( backup the old one before ) Shell.DLL to your system folder ( or copy the CD and burn it with shell.DLL , i dont know where this missing thing is supposed to be located, get it here
- Just dont play ? - Nah try Downloading Dosbox ( i couldnt find it myself )

Edited by starjax, 06 August 2006 - 01:52 PM.

CHAOSKILLER

CHAOSKILLER

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
there were never any patches made for this game

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
when it creates the shortcut, if its not on the desktop, then create one and place it on the desktop . then right click and go to properties. Enable compatability mode.

This may not work. If it doesn't then there isn't much you can do. Even if you did get it to start there is a very good chance that your system is to fast to play it.