Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP and Modem Speed

• Please log in to reply

BarbaraNJ

BarbaraNJ

• Pip
  • 3 posts
When I purchased a VAIO laptop with XP (my desktop was still running 98), I could not connect to the Internet at any faster than 28.8, no matter what settings I changed. Tried some tech help with Sony and with my ISP (Earthlink), but no help.

Since the laptop is just a "back up" and is rarely used, I just ignored the problem.

I finally installed XP on the desktop. With NO other changes, suddenly the machine that once connected @ 56K will now only connect at @28K max.

Is there some little quirk in the XP program that anyone knows of? While I am this is likely not a complicated fix, I must admit that I am at a loss.

Advertisements

zywex

zywex

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
I'm not at my XP comp to see exactly what I'm thinking of, but have you gone into the control panel and looked at the dialup modem settings? Or gone into the dialup connection properties and seen if there's anything to tweak regarding this kind of issue? I've never used dialup, but I would think that there should be something in either of those areas that could help.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
There may be a setting that is holding you back from connecting any faster, but my main question is.. What speed modem are you using, because XP shouldn't automatically set a connection bottleneck so to speak. Are you sure you're not using a 28k modem? Dumb question, I know, but I have to ask.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

BarbaraNJ

BarbaraNJ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi All...........Thanks for the Quick Responses !

First, I Do have a 56K; if you read the first post, I said that my desktop had a 56K and I routinely connected at 56K while running Win98. My ability to connect at a 56K speed stopped when I installed XP. Absolutely no problems in connecting, no dropped connections, just slow as sh**.

I have checked that my speeds were adjusted to the proper speed on "modem settings"
I have run the suggested Microsoft diagnostics for connectivity and compatibility.

I suspect that there is some code that typically starts with "AT..." that needs to be placed in the "Extra Initialization Commands" . After I click on "modem and telephone devices", I go to "modem type", click on "modem properties", then the "Advanced" tab and the "extra initialization commands" is blank.

I recall having to place a code in there once before on an prior machine (now in the junk pile) and it instantly changed my 56K from running at 33K speed to the 56 that it was supposed to.

Perhaps I'm going in the wrong direction, since I've searched the forum and have found no similar difficulties.

BTW, had a friend that got "Dr.Watson" infection message-----this site was a terrific help !!!!

couriejegels

couriejegels

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Hi All...........Thanks for the Quick Responses !

First, I Do have a 56K; if you read the first post, I said that my desktop had a 56K and I routinely connected at 56K while running Win98. My ability to connect at a 56K speed stopped when I installed XP. Absolutely no problems in connecting, no dropped connections, just slow as sh**.

I have checked that my speeds were adjusted to the proper speed on "modem settings"
I have run the suggested Microsoft diagnostics for connectivity and compatibility.

I suspect that there is some code that typically starts with "AT..." that needs to be placed in the "Extra Initialization Commands" . After I click on "modem and telephone devices", I go to "modem type", click on "modem properties", then the "Advanced" tab and the "extra initialization commands" is blank.

I recall having to place a code in there once before on an prior machine (now in the junk pile) and it instantly changed my 56K from running at 33K speed to the 56 that it was supposed to.

Perhaps I'm going in the wrong direction, since I've searched the forum and have found no similar difficulties.

BTW, had a friend that got "Dr.Watson" infection message-----this site was a terrific help !!!!

View Post

couriejegels

couriejegels

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

View Post

Hi there I am a new guy but I know for a fact that a 56k modem should at least connect at least at 46 to 51.6 if any queries it could be a lot of things. So here I start first if you install a moderm on xp do not let windows install it detect it yourself and chose the have disk option and select the drive where your drivers are in. If that is installed try again, if still no luck try checking your phone line for any noise or interference. See when you use a dail up connection you use your phone line to connect to your ISP’s server so if your phone has noise on the line or interference that could also impact on your connection. Check also the under phone and moderms option if the port speed is 57600. and try this string in the advance tab where extra ini setting, in lower caps at&fx3 or at&fx1

Get back to me if you need any help I work for an ISP.!!!!

Trust me

BarbaraNJ

BarbaraNJ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
couriejegels:

You're my Hero!!!

the "advanced" setting worked perfectly.

Thanks very much for your help.