Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

domains

• Please log in to reply

121percent

121percent

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I've tried countless searches on google and I can't find jack s**t. I want to know how sites like register.com can create their own domains. No i don't want to spend money to "rent" a domain. I want to figure out how to create one. Any information or a link to a "how to" guide would be awesome.

Advertisements

K3NnY

K3NnY

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
You want to "create" a domain? :whistling:
You can't "create" a domain.
You'd have to buy one, or get a free one (http://www.joynic.com/).
You also could open a DNS server but that would mean you'd have to have a computer with the server running all the time.
Because:
DNS Servers hold Domains, if you enter a website into your browser, the browser sends a request to your ISPs DNS servers, and the DNS server sends back the IP of the sites web server, example: 88.254.23.15.
DNS servers hold the IP adresses of sites. Without DNS servers we would have to enter the IP of the site,
that means if you wanted to google something you would be typing 88.254.23.15 instead of google.com.

121percent

121percent

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
so what you're saying is that sites like register.com that sell domains use a DNS server? Plus, I still don't get why I cant create my own domain...they do it.

Edited by 121percent, 21 July 2006 - 03:30 PM.

Gotham

Gotham

• PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
there are quite a few sites that you can create domain names with:

godaddy.com
1and1.com

try searching on google: "Register a Domain Name"

Hope This Helps

121percent

121percent

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
No, sorry, that doesn't help at all. I don't want to pay any money to "register" (borrow) a domain. Is there some way I can use DNS,TLD, and/or other forms of hosting to somehow "make up" a usable domain? I mean, how the [bleep] does godaddy.com and register.com able to sell domains to people? They must get them from somewhere, they don't just pop out of nowhere. I checked into ICANN for becoming a registrar (the only apparent way to create domains) and they want like thousands of dollars! Is this the only way, Is there a tricky/free way to create domains?

Gotham

Gotham

• PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
i am not aware of anyway to registar a domin name for free--when you use a serivice like those above you are requesting they register a domian name that you whoud like. The fact of the matter is domain names are not truley free

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
The domain name sellers query the dns servers to see if a name is already owned, then they sell it to you for a specified period of time. If the system were not set up like this then two people might own the same domain name, and the dns servers wouldn't know where to route the traffic. Does that help to explain it?

Johanna

121percent

121percent

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ya I know that, but you're not telling me how they actually create domain names. You're just explaining the process.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
When you inquire about a site that is not taken, and pay them, they notify the "central keeper of names" that you own it now. They don't "create" domains, only assign them.

Johanna

121percent

121percent

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
How do you get in touch with the "central keeper of names" ?

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
You either go through a middleman like a domain registrar or you pay the fees and become a domain registrar.

Johanna

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
121percent, you seem to have a problem accepting the fact that what you ask cannot be done. Let me try to put this issue to an end.

You cannot "own" a domain name. You may only lease a name. Even if you become a registrar, you cannot "own" a domain name.

These names are not "created", they are merely assigned a number. Your name is transformed to an IP address. Nothing more.

Now, rather than snide remarks, short and inconsiderate replies, and a very unfriendly attitude, how about explaining what you want to do in a little more detail so that we can tell you what you need to do. If you dont show even a little respect or gratitude for the help you have already recieved (for free), why would anyone else help you?

Consider your reply carefully.

ScHwErV :whistling: