Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Router Change

• Please log in to reply

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello:

A few days ago, my Internet connection went down. The cable company said they were working on the problem. Today, I was finally able to get back online. The catch is that I was unable to connect wirelessly. I noticed that the modem was back on but was unable to get online. I ran a wire to the PC from my router and everything came up OK. I was going to tap into my router to check my security settings, but the old IP address doesn't work any more. I ran an IPCONFIG /ALL from DOS and found that all of my IP numbers and my subnet mask has changed. When looking at the IPCONFIG /ALL screen, which one of those numbers should take me into my router? I've tried them all but am unable to get to the login screen. Sounds funny, right? I just reset my router but everything has come back up the way it was before. Can any of you help me get back into my Linksys Router?

Any and all information will be greatly appreciate.

Thanks

Magus

Advertisements

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Use 192.168.1.1 in the IE or FF address bar. The default password is admin and the user name is admin. You will probably have to reinsert the NIC code provided with the computer.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
from ipconfig /all the ip listed under "default gateway" should be your router

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Thank you all for the information. I finally got into my router, though she did put up a fight. There was definately some sort of glitch internally on her, I just can't imagine what would have caused such a thing. acklan - I couldn't get into my router with it's default IP address because as I stated before, all of the numbers had been changed. The weird part is that the Default Gateway IP didn't take me to a login screen either. Even if I had gotten there, I wouldn't have been able to get in with username "admin" and password "admin", because the default username and password aren't those. The username field is left blank and the default password is "admin". Even if I had gotten to a login screen, I wouldn't have been able to login with those credentials because I had previously setup all of my security settings, including those which give me access to the router settings.

I unplugged the router from the wall outlet for a while and plugged it back in. When it came up, all of my IP addresses seemed to work themselves out. It seemed everything was back to normal again, but I was still unable to log into the router to check my security settings. I wound up resetting the router to it's default settings by holding down the reset button for 30 seconds. When it came back up, I ran a cat 5 to it from my PC and set up my security again.

The only two ways this could have happened....an internal programming glitch in the router, or a neighbor trying to hack my system. I do live in an apartment complex so I wouldn't doubt someone here knows a little about computers, right?

At any rate, I just wanted to give you all an update on the status of my machine. Again, I appreciate the information the two of you provided.

Thanks,

Magus

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
there is always that chance of a neighbor...but...they would have needed to be connected via cat5...(i'm almost sure that all routers have to have a hard connection to configure...that way people on wireless can't steal your router)