Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

realistic pc value evaluation please

• Please log in to reply

Dragon306

Dragon306

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
okay, i need parts for my car and have no cash so i am trying to come up with some and the only way to do that (since i dont start my job for another month) is to sell things. that includes my computer. it is, in my opinion, the most tricked out Pentium III system around, although these days that is not saying a whole lot.

The PC in question will have the following when sold
software:
- MS Windows XP Pro SP2
- MS Office 97 Pro
- AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition
- Ad-Aware SE Personal
- Spybot-S&D
- 7-Zip
- CCleaner
- PC Tools Regsitry Mechanic 5.2
- MS Encarta DVD Library 2004
- Utilities and software related to installed hardware

i will also throw in a copy of a custom screensaver of the customer's choice (i make large image slideshow screensavers in stand-alone .scr and installation .exe files; smallest is 250 photos, largest is 1,000 photos; scenery, cars, motorcycles, boats, animals, airplanes, girls, etc)

hardware:
- 1.0ghz Intel Pentium III processor
- 512mb PC133 SDRAM
- 128mb ATI Radeon 9200 AGP graphics card
- Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS sound card
- integrated 10/100 ethernet network card
- Western Digital Special Edition 120gb 8mb cache 7,200rpm IDE hard drive
- 16x DVD+/-RW drive
- 52x CD-ROM drive
- 3.5" floppy drive

i am probably going to list it on eBay but i want to set a reserve because i dont want to get screwed. will sell with like a 30-day warranty or something so buyer is confident that they arent getting screwed either.

how much is this thing realistically worth, and how much could i possibly get from it??

also, how much is a used but in perfect condition Creative Inspire P5800 5.1 PC speaker set worth??

thanx alot everyone, it sucks when you have to pull 1,000 dollars out of your a$$ for a clutch for your car!

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. There really isn't much demand for PIII computers. With rebates a complete modern system, including monitor and printer can be had for around $300.00. So the question is, can you find someone who is willing to buy it at all? You can go to ebay and look for similar systems to get an idea what your asking price should be.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
The specs aren't bad, but how does it run? Virus/malware free? Fast as new? Any issues?

Dragon306

Dragon306

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
yes completely 100% clean and fast as new or better (i know a few speed-boosting windows tweaks and stuff)

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Alright, and what did Ebay show you as far as comparative pricing?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I think you would get more stripping it and selling parts individually.