Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

vsmon.exe

• Please log in to reply

manu08

manu08

• PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Windows task manager shows a process with image name vsmon.exe running, its one of the highest mem usage process there. Anyone know what it is ? When I try to end the process I get "The operation could not be completed. Access is denied" I am logged in as administrator & am running Windows XP Home Edition SP2.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
vsmon.exe is a processs associated with the ZoneAlarm firewall. It is used to monitor Internet traffic and generate alerts depending on the security rules configured by the user. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you arent at that moment needing a firewall eg offline ro something like that then you can just turn off the firewall it should shut down the app.

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
I wasn't sure whether it was to do with zonealarm or not cause I hadn't seen it until recently to be honest. Anyway I've got the help I needed.
Thank you both very much.