Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Liteon DVD writer - Burning & Storing Dvd Problems

• Please log in to reply

megamyx

megamyx

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
specs : 256mb ram, athlon xp 1.7ghz,
dvd-rom : Asus DVD-E616A ~16x DVD Drive,
dvd-writer : LiteOn SOHW-1673S ~16x DVD+-R/+-RW Drive,
Nero 6 Ultra edition (6.0.0.0 version)

need help.. hope this message is not too long.

hi, don't know if this is due to hardware or software problem. i bought the dvd writer last year, it started okay... burns anything in dvd-r, rw, +r and in cd-r's; but suddenly after 3 months (estimated number of dvd's burned : 25 to 30) it stopped burning dvd's, it always failed after the writer started burning in about 3 to 6mins. it can only read dvd's & burn cd's. so i got new one with the same model from the shop, then it happened again after a few months (estimated number of dvd's burned : 30 to 35); then happened again in march (estimated number of dvd's burned : 15 to 20), & got a new one in april. Right now its performance is fair; sometimes burns & sometimes doesn't, its success in burning dvd's is about 7 out of 10 or 70%. i doubt the problem is the brand of dvd's i use, coz i tried several different dvd brands (about 12 brands already: phillips, melody, tdk, ridata, sony, hp, premium, iomega, etc., some are generic), and each brands' success is bad; only phillips has the best ratio when it comes to successful burned dvd's.

now, the major problem is after the dvd's were burned. at first the files can be accessible & copied from the dvd, but after a few moths or weeks, most of the dvd's i burned were & still are not accessible by dvd roms & even my dvd writer couldn't detect & access the files burned in the media. it's like the files are somewhat corrupted; the dvd-rom loads the dvd but when i try to open them or copy them to my machine, it tells me that it can't be copied, cyclic redundancy or can't read file. sometimes it just doesn't load the dvd at all, like it doesn't recognize the dvd. it's having a hard time going from sub folder to parent folder & vice versa. so, i tried some file recovery apps like iso buster but still the success of recovering or getting the file is 0%. now, most of the files i downloaded & burned in those dvd's are lost.

i tried lowering the write or burn speed, the success went up but still failures occur once in every 10 discs.

i also notice that when i put in a blank dvd into the dvd writer, it produces creaking sounds, like it's having a hard time reading or doesn't detect a dvd. and when this happens 9 out of 10 times, the burning failed. but this doesn't happen all the time.

anybody know why this keeps on happenning? my warrantee is now over. what should i do? help please..
should i upgrade my cpu or memory? use other burning software? and is there any apps that could recover all corrupted files in those dvd's (preferred freeware)?

my biggest concern is how to make sure that the files burned in dvd's will not be corrupted after a few months or weeks. i just want to store & keep those files for next time, don't like to redownload them.

Edited by megamyx, 20 July 2006 - 05:49 AM.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Have you been using Nero 6 with all of these burners? Have you gone to Nero's web page and checked for software updates? If you have not done that, I suggest this is the place to start.

HaraldR

HaraldR

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
256 Mb of ram is very low given winxp uses a substantial amount of available memory.
512-1024Mb would be more reliable

Do you have the dvdrom and lite on burner in a master/ slave config?
Do the failures coincide with either copying from one dvd to the other?
Do you play cd's or games or go surfing the net during the write process?

If so then I think you may be suffering buffer underrun,that is during the burn process the buffers run out of data due to sharing the ide with another devices.

Liteons are inherently noisier drives than other brands(ricoh,pioneer,HP,panasonic)
I have one in a machine and the insists on continueing to spin the disc even as tray opens.