Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Assigning new hdd to existing drive

• Please log in to reply

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i can assure you that "easy" has left the building and is not planning on returning...possible is still here...in fact he's over there in the corner eating cheetos

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
go to bed...i'll figure something out and post up some options

sweft

sweft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
haha ok... i'm turning off the computer now.. THANKS..

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
sweft, this may take me a bit to get you some proper instructions on this...as i can't do it from my laptop...i thought i'd be able to recreate your setup on my desktop..however i cannot do what i want to do with an external HD and i've only got one hd inside the computer (for right this second)

basically (if anyone else CAN recreate this) what i;m wanting to do is have you covert your disks to dynamic disks...then create a logical drive that spans teh non system portion of HD0 and all of HD1...thereby giving you two drive letters...c and d...but still having the two seperate drives...i can talk you through the creation of the dynamic disk and the logical drives...however i cannot assure you that no data will be lost...and since you do not have a way to back up your stuff....i don't wanna chance that....so...as soon as i can get an ide cable with 2 connectors i'll see if i can slap a new drive into my pc (stinking dell with non upgradable architecture) and see if i can set something up for you...this may take untill tuesday...so ...unless someone else pokes their head in...it may be a while

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
alrighty...spoke a little too soon...i was able to get this drive into the machine...

the safest and easiest way to do this would be to back up the stuff that's in your currend D: partition...because we're going to need it to be free space...and unallocated...same with the current F: partition...do you know anyone with an external HD that would let you borrow it? or something like that?...the only way to do this is to have two empty partitions (if you had set it up in this manner to begin with id would be different)...

basically what i would have you do is converd disk0 to dynamic and disk1 to dynamic....remove the partition completely from disk1...and delete the D partition on disk0....then create a spanned volume on the two disks...

alternately...if you're feeling up to it we can do this:

converting both disks to dynamic (this should not lose any data) by going into disk management and right clicking on the disk itself (the little square part on the left that says disk0 etc...) and choosing convert to dynamic disk...on both HD's...this will requre a restart for disk0 so do disk1 first..

once that's done...right click on the current F drive (disk1) and choose delete volume or delete partition whichever one is there....then right click on the current D: volume and choose extend...a little wizardish thing will show up...and then you can add the unallocated space from disk1......if at any point it asks about formatting...make sure you tell it not to format the drive...it shouldnt'...but if it does..make sure you tell it no...this should give you one logical drive on 2 physical ones