Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Lost encryption software

• Please log in to reply

eddyeagle

eddyeagle

• Pip
  • 1 posts
A while ago I encrypted a folder of mine containing personal files I don't use that often. After a while I had a system crash & had to rebuild a lot of the software side of things. In the process i find that I no longer have the encryption software I used to encrypt the files.

I now need to open them & have really struggled to locate the original software, or any reference to it. Each file retains its original file name and suffix but has 'SD_' placed in front of it. Is there any way of finding out which software was used to encrypt the files, or a way of breaking the encryption (unlikely, I know).

The only thing I recall of the software is that it was a free download from about 18 months - 2 years ago. I've scoured the free SW sites to no avail - nothing looks familiar.

I am a tech support but I've reached a dead end with this. Any help greatfully received!

Many thanks

PS: I've attached a file in case anyone needs to check it

Attached Files

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
without knowing what program encrypted it...you're pretty much SOL

unleazer