Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question about use of a Product Key

• Please log in to reply

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
I just bought a laptop that had XP Home preinstalled with a bunch of other crap programs. When I try to uninstall these "crap programs," I constantly get error messages. Unfortunately, as is the norm nowadays, I did not get an XP Home CD, but rather a "all-in-one recovery CD" that will also reinstall all the crap programs if I used it.

My question is...Can I use a normal legit XP Home CD to reinstall, and then use the product key that came with my computer? Would I still be able to update Windows, etc.? I just want to get a normal XP installation without all this other software in there.

thanks for any advice,
mike.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
There is no problem with that as long as you have a valid product key there is no restriction on what CD you use to install it.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Just to add that some PC's list the product code with OEM in, which won't let you install, check you have a 25 digit alpha numerical product key

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
sweet...that's exactly the answer I was looking for. Thanks for the advice!