Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Back up to slave drive

• Please log in to reply

Rien

Rien

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Rather then continuing to fix my hopeless problem, I am looking for information on how to install a slave HD to my pc. Then how to back up selected files to the slave drive and formatting the master drive, then putting my backup files back on the formatted drive. My master drive is partitioned and I would like to remove that as well.

If someone could point me in the right direction where I could find a how-to :whistling:

Thanks Olivia

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
first
if you have a second hd...jumper it as slave and put it on the middle connector of the IDE cable that your current HD is on...boot up into windows and right click on my computer > manage > disk manager> does the new disk show up? does it say it's been formatted?
if so open up my computer and then just copy all your files over to the new drive...then take it out of the pc for safe keeping

to format the master drive...bot to your xp cd...choose to setup windows...delete any partions present and then format the entire drive (as ntfs)..then continue with the windows setup

once windows is alive again...reinstall the slave hd and copy the files over to their new home (you may need to take ownership of the files...if you do let us know and we can tell you how to do that)

Rien

Rien

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for making that easy, I do have a second HD it's older and with less space than my new one I need to format

I'll be trying this after work, wish me luck
And thank you very much!