Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

all my games are running slow

• Please log in to reply

shockerboy8

shockerboy8

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
ok so i have a weird problem. i just rebuilt my computer or whatever and the only games i have installed are counterstrike source and roller coaster tycoon 3. clearly they dont require high pc qualities. so both games were running fine. i could play both with no problems what so ever. and something happened i guess when i was playing cs because now both games lag like heck. i cant even play cs. i can get into a server but when sending client info comes up it takes forever and then i cant play because it takes like 30 seconds for each like movement or whatever but my ping is low as anything... like aroung 40. so its not my internet. and so i tried playing RCT3 and it works alright i guess but lags. it takes longer to load things. the sound glitches when i move my mouse over an interactive button. stupid stuff like that. i have the ram for both games and a perfectly fine ATI graphics card. also, i reinstalled steam to see if that would work. yeah that did absolutely nothing. just a waste of my time. so does anyone have any ideas? please help me!!

Advertisements

umar4all

umar4all

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi i am not from staff i am just a user like you. Either you installed wrong driver (probably old one) of your graphics card or it is not just working fine. Besides game is every thing working fine. I mean like dvd's or browsing through internet.
I used to play Riddick fine untill i installed new driver for my geforce card and then game started to lag and sound went chippery just like you described so i uninstalled the drivers and installed the old ones and every thing got fine.

Download Hijack This and post your log here. May be some expert may help you. Your computers complete specs also wont hurt

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
The load times make me think it's a memory problem. Have you run any checks to make sure the memory is indeed compatible and that both sticks are working (if you have two)?

Also, we need to know your full system specs.

shockerboy8

shockerboy8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
ok well i thought it would be a memory problem too but its somewhat fairly new memory. i only have one stick in right now of 512 Mb becuase the matching one with it i had to return. its corsair xtremem memory speed, 3200C2PT, 400 MHz. i had two sticks. but both games were working fine with just the one that i have right now. but yeah, its basically just the games that are all messing up. i dont think i have had any problems with anything else. i just have a 1.8 pentium processor. i had a Gig of ram until one stopped working. i have a 128 Mb ATI 9200 SE video card. i have a sound blaster sound card for 7.1 tech or whatever. Dvd burner and stuff like that. i mean really its basic. oh and a 80 Gb hard drive for boot and a 160 for my music.i know everything seems ancient but i also have a laptop for school that is the newest of everything so i dont really need a sweet comp. but anyways that all i got. cause i have the proper drivers installed for my video card so i dont think it is that. i just dont know what it could be. any more?

Edited by shockerboy8, 20 July 2006 - 03:04 PM.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Just because it's new doesn't mean it isn't broken :whistling: Try out MemTest (http://www.memtest86.com/ ) just to make sure. With only a 1.8Ghz processor, that extra memory stick might have made a big difference. Also (too many alsos :blink: ), your video card is pretty outdated, even if you don't want a big upgrade, a slightly better (like a Radeon 9600) would help.

If nothings wrong with your memory, head to malware and have them check if something else is wrong!

UMAR4ALL: Don't tell people to post hijack this logs anywhere but the malware forum, they will be taken down.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Have you scanned for viruses and other internet-borne nasties? I suggest posting your HijackThis logfile in our Malware section if you can't find another solution. Also, have there been any changes made to the system since it all worked fine?

shockerboy8

shockerboy8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
well i have a virus scanner and spyware protection so it cant be that. ok and how does the mem test work?

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts

well i have a virus scanner and spyware protection so it cant be that.

You'd be suprised :blink: You're right in most cases however :whistling:

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Personally, I've never used memtest because everything on my computer still works fine. But from my understanding, it checks (tests) your memory (mem) and looks for errors anywhere in the actual hardware. I guess if it finds something, it tells you, and then it'd be a sure sign that you need new memory.