Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

64Bit OS vs 32 Bit OS

• Please log in to reply

anoobrew

anoobrew

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
Explain what the diff is in 64 and 32 bit computing and y its is soo good. Also explain the way Intel's 64 works vs AMDs .. i heard Intel process'es only 32 bits at a time. PLz go crazy and detalined in explanations

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well i could be here all night explaining or i could just say go to wikipedia it has all the info.

Its pretty simple though in basic terms, 32bit cpus can process 32bits at a time 64bits can do twice as much it also increases the maximum amount of memory that can be adressed and used.

Intels 64bit on the pentiums was kinda fake it could process 64 bits but what they had was an add on stuck onto the chip basically as an afterthought and what it did was allowed 64bit data to be processed but as you have heard it was still really 32 it just halved it and processed the instructions slower. AMd had true 64 bit as they designed it into the CPUs from the start, the new chips from intel are true 64 bit thats core 1, core 2 and the quad cores at the end of the year will be true 64.

OS wise 64bit OS is a little faster than the 32 as it makes use of all the potential of the CPU and pivotally lets you have ridiculous amounts of ram compared to the smaller amount of a 32bit system.

But youll get better info if you look for it none of us have the time to explain it in miniscule detail in crazy long explanations.