Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How can a user on a shared network steal all the bandwidth?

• Please log in to reply

Marvin42

Marvin42

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a wireless network set up in a shared house. Somehow one of the people accessing the network is managing to contol all the bandwidth (4Mbps) leaving me with nothing (100kbps according to online speed test).

How is this possible, I have checked the settings of the Linksys wrk54g router we have which is connected to a Telewest Cable Broadband line and there's nothing set there but defaults. My computer is connected directly to the router and everyone else in the house uses wireless.

Is there a way to sort this out, can he be using some software that steals the bandwidth or is the router just stupid and not spliting the bandwisth correctly?

Thanks for any help.

Matt.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the router doesn't care who's using it or how much bandwidth is available...it will use a first come first serve kind of deal...so if dude number1 is downloading a butt load of music and movies 24 hours a day...no one else has a chance of getting any actual bandwidth...it's possible that your router may have settings for bandwidth control ( i can't find a manual sorry)...or you can talk with this person and see what's going on and discuss the possibility of their access being revoked

Marvin42

Marvin42

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yeah I thought it was that but this is more strange. We can be using the internet and know the other guy is out and we are downloading something using BT and when he gets back stright away our connection is down to zero.

On the router settings there are some settings for Qos (Quality of Service) but I'm not sure how to set them up for the wireless.

- Oh and we talked to him but he's not saying anything he's not very helpful.

Thanks for the fast reply.

Cheers,

Matt.

Edited by Marvin42, 20 July 2006 - 02:03 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
so basically...if this dude is in the house...internet is gone...his pc may be infected with ALOT of malware...more likely he's doing something intentionally....hmm

linksys doesn't have a manual on their site for your router...so i can't really help with the QOS...but that may be something to look into

Marvin42

Marvin42

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok thanks for the help, i'll look into Qos.

If it works i'll let ya know.

Matt.