Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GPU temperature question, Display tinted blue (resolved)

• Please log in to reply

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
My graphics card is a Sapphire Radeon X1300 PRO (heatsink+fan), I have an analog monitor.

I noticed that my GPU was way too hot (I've seen it at 95C, but it's usually from 86-92) so I took it out and used a manual air pump to make sure no dust was clogging the air intake. When I put everything back I noticed during POST that everything was tinted blue. I kept going and while XP was loading, I could barely see the boot screen (brightness down as well). The monitor's built-in config. display looks fine (now it looks a bit red, but that's because my eyes are adjusting to the blue) [EDIT: I thought, but I later tried adjusting the color and noticed that changing red had no effect]

I took out the card again, made sure the contacts were clean, checked for any debris, etc. then put it back and it was the same. It has a DVI to analog converter, so I tried it but the monitor didn't receive any signal. I've used it before without any problems.

Is there anything I can do, or is this graphics card shot?

PS: I got the card at newegg, but took off the UPC to get a rebate (that I don't think is coming). I took a picture of it, but I doubt newegg will let me RMA it.

[edit: The pin was the red-out (pin 1).]

Edited by Pi rules, 20 July 2006 - 02:23 PM.

Advertisements

Pi rules

Pi rules

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Update: The blue tint is resolved. A pin on the monitor cable was bent and snapped. It works (for now) with only part of the pin in. Hopefully the rest of the pin isn't stuck inside my graphics card. Sorry about that.

Still, does anyone have any suggestions about the temperature?

Edit: In Ray Adams' ATI Tray Tools (which I highly recommend) I looked at my fan's fan speed chart (Hardware | Overclocking Settings | Fan tab) that my fan speed was only 48% up to 90 C, so I changed it. Right now, I'm at around 88C on a hot day when my case temp is around 91.3 F (32.94 C). The fan is a bit noisy, but I don't want my GPU that hot.

More info:
I have an Aspire X-Dreamer II case with 2 front intake fans, and side, rear, and top exhaust fans (all 80 mm fans rated at 29 cfms). My CPU cooler is a Thermaltake Blue Orb II. Would a slot fan like one of these help?

Edited by Pi rules, 20 July 2006 - 02:44 PM.

Pi rules

Pi rules

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Now I got a slot fan, but it's too short to reach to where my graphics card's fan is. It is located nearly above the core, though, so it does help a little bit with the temperature.

Could that sensor be broken, because I put my hand in there and felt air moving above and below my graphics card and it wasn't very warm air, either? The graphics card's fan is working well and I felt air slightly warmer than the surrounding air coming from it. My case temp is at ~85 F, and my GPU ambient temp is at 120 F (a bit high, but it isn't dangerous) so how could my GPU be at 176 F?

Should I try taking off the heatsink/fan and putting some ArcticSilver 5 on the core?

Pi rules

Pi rules

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
I realized that I hadn't updated the drivers when the newest version (6.6) came out, so I did that and now it's in the lower to mid 60s ©. Could the increased temperature be due to some incompatibility with the driver? Or was the reading with the old driver simply inaccurate?

64 C is still a bit warm for an idle temp, so does anyone have any suggestions for what I could try to improve it?

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
95 C is very close to boiling. No way that reading was accurate. Updated driver may have fixed a temp reading problem.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
HI, I just started noticing that I have the same issue. My GPU temperature is 55 degrees C which is 131 defrees F. Did simply updating the drivers help that issue? If so I need to try that, becuase I'm starting to lose it lol