Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

New to Linux.

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am totally confused with this new operating system.Never been anywhere outside windows. I just downloaded the aMSN but I can't install it because it's a TGZ. And I don't know how to change it to an rpm. Can someone please help me? :whistling:

I would really appreciate it... By the way, Darth Mike is my brother... :blink:

• Technician
  • 1,624 posts
I don't know what aMSN is, but a file with the extention "tgz" is a gzipped (compressed) tar file.

You can look at the file using the command:

tar tjvf FILE

gunzip FILE

which will create a .tar file, then you can look at it with:

tar tvf FILE

To extract the files, use the option "x" instead of "t":

tar xvf FILE

Converting it into an rpm is more than I suspect you want to do. You can look at the man page for rpm with the command:

man rpm

You might also want to look at rpmbuild, but again, that is not really needed to use the file that you downloaded.

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
aMSN is not a very good IM Client. If you want a better one IMO, get gAIM from here http://gaim.sourcefo...t/downloads.php. It does support all IM clients.