Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

[Windows XP] Internet cutting out every 5-10 minutes. Using Cable...

• Please log in to reply

Paco9060

Paco9060

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Now I've had this problem before but it's magically gone away. However it has returned and it is really starting to bug me, especially when I'm in the middle of talking to someone on AIM. I do not know how else to describe it. I'll be sitting on the computer and I'll lose my connection for about 2-3 minutes. I don't know if this has anything to do with Windows or if it has to do with my cable modem. All I know is I have no idea how to fix it so I have a reliable connection...

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
This sometimes happens to everyone. I want you to turn off the computer, and then unplug the power cable going to your modem. Leave it unplugged for 15-30 seconds. After this time has passed, restore power to only the modem, and wait for about 30 more seconds, and make sure that all of the proper lights (if applicable) are lit. You may now turn the computer back on, and report the status to us :blink: . Good luck :whistling:

Paco9060

Paco9060

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
ehhhh it didn't really work... Any other ideas?

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Does only AIM disconnect? I had (and might still have) the same issue, so I switched to Trillian, and never thought to go back. Try running the system without AIM and see if you still get disconnected.