Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Loud Fan

• Please log in to reply

Kspaien

Kspaien

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
This has been going on for a month now and unfortunately I can't pay to replace anything. But at least, I'd like to know the problem? *sighs*

Whenever I turn on a game like.... for example, Guild Wars. I get into it and start and a few minutes later, the fan suddenly becomes really loud. Loud enough to irritate you and I know that's not normal level of sound. So if I turn off the game and wait a few minutes, the fan calms down.

Do I need to clean the fan? Replace the Graphics Card? I mean, because Compaq sucks enough... it doesn't need to do this.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Do you know which fan is making the noise, ie the CPU fan, case fan, graphics card fan? What temps are you experiencing when this happens? Does the noise sound like the fan is just increasing the RPM's to overcome the heat you generate while running games?

It would be helpful when you reply to post your full system specs. This will assist those who want to try to help you.

Edited by austin_o, 20 July 2006 - 05:37 PM.

reiphil

reiphil

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
If you're thinking about replacing your video card over this, make sure its your video card fan. Also, depending on how old that card is, most manufacturers will replace the card/fan (though you'd have to go through your manufacturer and ship everything if that option is available).

It sounds like your problem is coming from your either your graphics fan or your CPU fan. These kinds of fans are temperature controlled (IE turns up higher when things get hotter). Most likely the fan is old and the bearings may be loose. You could try to oil up the fan a bit in the bearings if it is that type of fan(though be very careful of any excess liquids!).

Fans/heatsinks are actually much cheaper to replace than your whole graphics card. Fans go as low as a dollar, so it might not be a bad idea in stocking up for replacements such as these. Fan/heatsink combos for your CPU can be replaced for as low as ten dollars if you want that whole combo.

Everything runs down eventually, so you have to consistently keep things greased up or replace old ones for new ones. Best of luck.