Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

com port 2 conflict

• Please log in to reply

dustman

dustman

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
My sister recently acquired a used HP Pavilion 6553 desktop, Windows XP-Pro and SP2 already loaded into it. There is a single conflict in the device manager. Com port 2 has a large yellow question mark on it. I installed the driverguidekit.com and it said "error" under com port 2, and gave the following information:

ports, serial, com port 2, error
PNP Device ID: ACPI\PNP 0502\2
C:\windows\system32\drivers\serial.545(5.1.2600.0(CXPClient010817-1148)61.00KB(62,464.015)

Can anyone tell me what this means? Is it a driver that is needed?

Also, when power is supplied to this computer (connect the power cord) while the computer is turned off, the CD-ROM lights up and you can hear it "whirring" (trying to read, no disc in it). What can make it do this when the computer itself is not turned on? Any information on either situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dusty

Edited by dustman, 20 July 2006 - 08:38 PM.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. I think the place to start would be that cd-rom that is powered up and spinning when the computer is turned off. Open up the case and investigate the wiring on that. The power connection should be a 4 pin molex connection on the back of the drive. Trace that back and see how it is connected to the power supply. Be sure to use a grounding wrist strap or keep one hand grounded on a metal part of the case while working inside (static electricity precaustion).

A powered up spinning drive when the computer is turned off is not normal. I would resolve that first and see if it has any relationship to the com port 2 problem.

Edited by austin_o, 21 July 2006 - 09:24 AM.

dustman

dustman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hello, Austin,

I opened the case, and checked the molex connection. I traced the wiring directly to the power supply, all seems fine.

I checked the ribbon cable, tightly and correctly plugged in at both the board and the drive.

I unplugged the molex at the back of the CD drive, and connected the second in-line molex (for a 2nd CD drive), no change.

I also replaced the little audio cord with a brand new one. No change.

When I plug in the computer (not turning it on) the CD light comes on and you can hear it running.

And still, device manager shows a conflict in com2.

I am stumped.

Dusty

dustman

dustman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hello again, Austin,

I forgot to mention, I just replaced the CD drive with a new one to see if there was any change. There wasn't. The light still comes on and the CD is working, with the computer turned off.

Thanks again,

Dusty

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Ok, I seem to remember reading about some computers that had a feature where the cd could be enabled to be active and on even when the computer was not turned on to allow it to be used to play music, and I believe using the head phone jack on the drive to listen. Maybe this is such a computer and maybe this is normal. Did it come with a manual? If it did not, go to HP's web page and download a manual and see what it has to say about it. The manual may provide some insight to the com port 2 issue as well. It is worth taking a look before proceeding any further.

Here is something I found at HP tech support when I did a search for your model computer, com ports:
http://h10025.www1.h...ocname=bph05676

I am racking my brain trying to remember where I read about cd rom drive being usable while the computer is off, can't remember where, but I have read about it.....I am still thinking and will search my sources.

Edited by austin_o, 21 July 2006 - 06:24 PM.