Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet History Erasers

• Please log in to reply

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Any comments on Privacy Guardian program for removal of Internet History from hard drive and hidden files Is therre any danger to using such programs.

Regards

Waynf

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
What are the hidden files you want to remove?

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Not any in particular, I just wanted some comments on this type of product,because I was told that over time hard drive gets bogged down with Internet History files. Please advise.

Regards

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
A great program I use to clean up is CCleaner. You can download it from HERE.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can click internet options / advanced, put a tick in do not save encrypted pages to disc and empty the temporary internet files folder when the browser is closed, click apply

If you have a fast connection, you can click settings on the general tab of internet options and set the space allocated to temporary internet files to 30MB

With CCleaner you can set it to run at start up

If you use the scan for issues option, always take the make a back up option, save them to a folder you create

Avoid duplicate file finders as the tendency is to show a list of files to remove, usually including both the original and the duplicate, thus if you clear the list of files shown, your PC will continue to run, but only until you reboot

Kenny94

Kenny94

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts
ZAPPIT is another good one at: http://www.zappit.net/updates.html

And CleanUp at: http://www.stevengou...ftware/cleanup/

headwayne

headwayne

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
Keith - thank you for this adjustment. ANOTHER example of the education from this forum. Sorry if I shouldn't be tagging onto someone else's challenge.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Now I am getting more confused that ever. Basically what I want to do is clean up hard drive from any questionable content that may be on my computer. Do any of these programs give you contrrol oveer what you remove, or is it strictly a complete clean out and is there any danger of losing important history such as in e-mails and favorites

Waynf

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you set it thus

You can click internet options / advanced, put a tick in do not save encrypted pages to disc and empty the temporary internet files folder when the browser is closed, click apply

If you have a fast connection, you can click settings on the general tab of internet options and set the space allocated to temporary internet files to 30MB

You would only have 30MB of temp internet files on the PC with the browser open, and nothing after you close the browser

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
What would you consider fast connection I am only using dial-up with maximum of incoming signal of 45 kps.

Is this considered fast connection or not.

Regards

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
No, fast connection is DSL / Cable / Broadband

[attachment=9800:attachment]

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Have investigated CCCleaner, but when I try to do backup(safety precaution) Wizard only lets me backup to Floppy Dish. I have no floppy disk on my computer, only CD-Rom drive. What do I do now.

Regards

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Where it has save in, click the arrow on the right, select my documents after creating a folder to keep them in

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
OK here's the deal. I've tried to do backup other than by means of floppy disk and decided to save it to my desktop. After I designated that as my destination, the Wizard advises me that I will have to insert a floppy. Now what do I do.

Wayne

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got CCleaner v 1.31.325