Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cooler operations...

• Please log in to reply

reiphil

reiphil

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I'm looking to buy a new heatsink, though I would like to keep it below $20-25 dollars. =/

Right now I have 3 fans (not including heatsink fan for cpu, and mobo fan), 2 which run at 28 dba, and a default case fan which runs at much louder sounds (but its cool, he has lights :whistling:). The system I have runs pretty cool, even though loud (i just got a fan controller, but the system still sounds way too loud [most likely the heatsink, only thing i can't turnd own]).

The system has been running smooth, but the cpu reads at 48c during web surfing times (well i just played 5 hours of World of Warcraft, but I stopped playing about an hour ago)!

And the computer sounds like a jet engine @.@.

So right now I am looking for a nice heatsink that will help keep the system way cooler and way more silent.

I'm running an AMD 3200+, it is using the stock fan/heat sink which is what i want to replace.

Please give me any recomendations, remembering that I am a poor college student.

Edited by reiphil, 20 July 2006 - 11:59 PM.

Advertisements

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Lots of praise has been given to Zalman heatsinks. I looked at one in a store and the things are freakin' humongous though! One thing you might look into instead of a new heatsink (although you may want one because my CPU with stock heatsink runs at a constant 28*-35*) would be to look into quiet but powerful fans.

Take a look at this article in Maximum PC:
http://www.maximumpc...o_make_you.html

I used this when I went shopping for PC coolers. The article chooses quiet products that get the job done just as well as the jet engines :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Cant go wrong with a zalman, quietest HSFs are also the largest in order to get away with lower air flow you have to improve the thermal characteriscts of the heatsink and the easiest thing to do is increase surface area, the newer zalmans are getting better large but they fins are so thin that the surface area is huge and its pretty light it doesnt need much air flow to cool well.

You get other good HSFs, for something closer to the stock the akasa 80mmhsf is good. And arctic HSFs are also good, quiet and cheap.

You should be able to control the fan speed of the CPU fan it has to be connected to the mobo for AMD boards usually so that cool and quiet can work properly. You will just have to find the appropriate app to control it most manufacturers have software that is shipped with the boards that can handle that.

It could also be your graphics card, if it has a stock cooler they are usually the most noisy fan in the system.

reiphil

reiphil

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

It could also be your graphics card, if it has a stock cooler they are usually the most noisy fan in the system.

Actually, I just updated to a 7600gs that has no fan, but heatspreader, heh.

I decided to go with an artic cooling unit ( http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835185110 )on the heatsink. I think the fan is running too low, and it is loud as [bleep].

I just bought a fan controller and have been checking my constant fans, and they seem to not create that kind of noise. And since the graphics card has no fan, its either the mobo fan (not very likely... i think), and the HSF. So i'm just going to replace my HSF as stated (go go new egg, deliver to me by monday!), and i'll post the goodies on here.

Also, as a note, the CPU was clocked to 57c on load :whistling:.

Oh and as an edit: I have a enermax noise supressor power supply also.

Edited by reiphil, 23 July 2006 - 03:26 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
That gfx card ould be part of the problem, gfx cards with heatspreaders are great if you have good airflow but the fact they are fanless means the heat just builds up in the case. Fanless gfx cards sound good in theory but practically they can be a bother.

reiphil

reiphil

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Alright, got everything installed, quiet as a whisper. However, I don't know if its the thermal compound I used (I went out and bought some Antec thermal compound since it was the best that most places around could offer), but the CPU on load is running at 52c. Which isn't bad, but a bit higher than i expected. The system is quiet as a whisper though, and it makes me happy. Perhaps I will use my older thermal compound.

Oh and here is the deal, before installing the new heatsink. Yesterday I opened up the case, cleaned out the current heatsink / cpu and reapplied thermal compound (Some generic CompUSA brand, not the Antec stuff), and the system dropped 10 degrees, meaning load was 48c, and non load was 42c.

Makes me sad that my current non load is 46c, and load is 52.

Should I clean off the heatsink/cpu and reapply the older thermal and see if it drops temps? Or are the current temps ok?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
No what you should get is Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound its the best on the market and its as cheap as anything else everywhere has it hard to beleive you cant get some somewhere newegg will have loads.

When you clean the HSF make sure to use alcohol and cotton buds to get it all off.

reiphil

reiphil

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

No what you should get is Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound its the best on the market and its as cheap as anything else everywhere has it hard to beleive you cant get some somewhere newegg will have loads.

When you clean the HSF make sure to use alcohol and cotton buds to get it all off.

I couldn't find anywhere except for new egg to get it, and thats another bunch of money I have to dump into shipping, which I can't afford (I've spent much getting all this stuff already!). I wish i woulda been smart to buy the compound at the same time, wasn't thinking.