Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Music & Voice Chat Dilemma's

• Please log in to reply

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
Hi Everyone! Here's my current plight...

Firstly, I have a new comp...a DELL Dimension 9150 running XP Media (which I am told is a step above HOME and a step below PRO); cable modem with router for additional household laptops; 2 speakers with subwoofer & a usb connect headset.

I recently installed Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS. I shut the Sigmatel Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio off via bios.

It plays well through the speakers but I cant seem to get my USB Headset working nor can I get voice chat.

Any help anyone can give me on this would be greatly appreciated. This one is definitely over my head. :whistling:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, control panel, sounds and speech, sounds and audio, look on the audio and voice tabs to check the default device for recording and playback, click apply if you change anything

Did you also install drivers for the headset

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
Hi Keith...umm..No I didnt install drivers for the headset..when I bought them I just plugged em in and it worked or are you meaning that with the soundblaster installation there were peripheral drivers to accommodate a usb connect HS?

(I did a complete install with the sound card and thought it was adjustable later?)

When I goto Control Panel/Sounds & Audio Devices/Voice ...Playback & Record are defaulted to the USB Audio Device (headset)

Edited by Certifiably Blonde, 21 July 2006 - 09:22 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you get a bing bong when you either remove or plug the headset in

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
Nope

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, right click my compter, click properties, hardware, device manager, look for usb controllers, click the +

Do you have any yellow marking

If you have any other USB device, say a printer it should go bing bong when you switch it on or off

In sounds and audio / audio tab, is the default playback the audigy 2

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
No Yellow Markings.

When I look at the USB Audio Device Properties its enabled and working properly so I am assuming its an adjustment to be made on the sound card somewhere?

No Bings No Bongs thru headphones. (headphones are 6 month old Cyber Acoustics (stereo) ~ usb connect and have be working great.

The Default Playback is the Audigy 2 in the sounds/audio/audio tab.

Edited by Certifiably Blonde, 21 July 2006 - 12:02 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Visit creative.com and click support, auto update

http://www.creative.com/support/

The pop up blocker needs to be off

Did the headphones work until you installed the audigy 2

Check with cyber acoustics to see if there are any drivers

http://www.cyber-aco...F007E8462546B77

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
Thanks Keith...sorry R/L bumped my focus here...ok...since my last post I got the phones up and running (please dont ask how...I really cant be sure but they are working and Ive stopped asking myself why?).

The next step in this fiasco...is that I cant seem to find a mic setting and vc is pretty much not happening.

Thanks I'll check at Creative because I really think I've got everything there for the phones its just trying to find the correct set up on this new sound card where everything looks greek ( I mean...shouldnt there just be something called "microphone"?)

Ok...yet again i couldnt really tell you what I did..but the mic now works....this brings everything round to full circle to where this all started....

How does one play through one's sound card vs. microphone?

Edited by Certifiably Blonde, 21 July 2006 - 08:02 PM.