Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Use VNC via a router?

• Please log in to reply

burnsryan

burnsryan

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
ive been trying to connect to my other PC via my AOL router using VNC (Virtual Networking Computer).

ie: from laptop to AOL router to my PC

not very easy, let me tell you. it can be done as i have studied the VNC documentation.

my ports on the router, laptop and PC are all set to 5700 (cant use 5900......already using it for something else)

but i just cant connect.

any tips, tricks, advice.......?

thanks guys

ryan

Advertisements

Haz

Haz

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Do you use ether a fire wall on ether computer and/or port forwading on you router?

burnsryan

burnsryan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
i do use a firewall on both machines, but i tried de-activating it for the purposes of this exercise.

and yes, i use port forwarding on the router for other reasons

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
are these two computer's on the same local network? or in different locations?

are they within the same ip range?

are you trying to connect via pc name? or ip?

burnsryan

burnsryan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
the machines are not networked.......they are both standalone machines.

ip ranges are 172.198.84........to 212.84.117..........

trying to connect via IP address. when i try to connect, i get an error messages saying my "connection has been rejected".

thanks

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
...is there routing between the pcs? can you ping from one to the other?

burnsryan

burnsryan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
no i cannot ping

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
there you go...you can't use vnc if the computers cannot talk...are these computers in the same location? or not? describe the exact situation

burnsryan

burnsryan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
dear dsenette,

can i take this opputunity to thank you very much for your help over the past few few days, and also to tell you that i have sussed it out.

yep!!!!!! i've cracked it!!!!!! not quite sure how i managed it but i can now access the pc from my laptop via my router!!!!! (possibly using wrong ports........doh!!!!!!!!)

thanks again

u could maybe help me with this problem, though.

my freind has forgotten their log on password for their XP machine. are there any techniques or cracks you know of that could resolve this situation? i thought of booting up in safe made and then changing the password via User Accounts.

thanks dsenette

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

i thought of booting up in safe made and then changing the password via User Accounts.

that should work...remember....if you start in safe mode...when you get to the part where it ask you to pick the user...if you press ctrl alt del (prbably twice) you will get a classic login window...type in administrator for the user...if it's xp home..the password is blank...if it's pro...try blank...if that doesn't work...see if you can find out what the password is