Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keyboard

• Please log in to reply

crxrlou

crxrlou

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I think I have a problem with my keyboard Driver. I have a Dell with Windows XP home edition. When I use the keyboard any time I type 2 letters together I have to type it once and wait 2 seconds before I can type it again. Also any time I use backspace I have to push the key once, wait 2 seconds then push it again for each letter I want to delete. Also any time I push a key there is a clicking sound in the computer that wasn't there before. This all started after my Grandson played games for several hours. He does't know what he did. this is a very annoying problem. I have tried everything I can think of and can't figure it out. It is not the keyboard itself because I bought a new one and still had the same problem. I hope someone can help. Thanks, crzrlou :whistling:

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G, apologies for the delay in dealing with your problem.

First off, can you try going to Control Panel -> Keyboard.
In the Keyboard applet, you should see sliders for adjusting the 'Repeat delay' & 'Repeat Rate'.
Try adjusting these & see it that helps

crxrlou

crxrlou

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Samm, thanks for trying but that's not it. I already tried that. I also forgot to mention that my up and down and side to side arrows do the same thing that the back space does. crzrlou :whistling:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
One easy solution (if possible) would be use system restore. This is assuming you have a suitable restore point of course (ie just prior to when the problem started)

crxrlou

crxrlou

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have tried the system restore about 10 times and every time no mater what date I give it the system tells me it can not restore to that date. What gives? :whistling:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hmmm, sounds like the back ups may have gotten corrupted. Are you running any Norton (Symantec) products by any chance?

Can you also tell me how much free space you have on the C drive please?

Last thing - it has occured to me that this may be a malware problem. We can't deal with Malware problems outside of the Malware forum but I don't want to send you there unnecessarily either. Therefore can you do this for me please :
Download Hijack This from here :
http://www.majorgeek...wnload3155.html

Run it (make sure you have all other applications closed, especially browser windows) & select 'Do system scan & save log file' option.

When HJT has created the log, please email it to me either as an attachment or copy & paste the contents into the email itself.
Email it to :
[email protected]

Please DO NOT post the log in this forum.

crxrlou

crxrlou

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Problem solved, it was an easy fix. The handicaped accessibility option had been checked. When I unchecked it everything went back to normal. It is for handicaped people who can't control there hands on the keys very well. If anyone ever has the problem I had they might want to check this first. Kids are good at pushing a lot of buttons to see what happens and not remember what they did. Thanks for trying to help Samm. Crzrlou :whistling:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Thats great.
Thanks for letting us know what the solution was :whistling: