Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

File name Heirarchy

• Please log in to reply

scedel

scedel

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Windows automatically sorts and displays files alphanumerically when you open a folder. If you put a "!" or a space (using alt 0160 for example) as the first character in a file name the file is sorted higher up on the list.

For example a folder containing these files would appear in this order:

! My important stuff.doc
12 fun pictures.doc
A nice day.doc

I am looking for the rules windows uses to sort, and specifically I want to know what starting character in a filename is always sorted to the top of the list. (I would love to get the top 3 characters if possible)

My current testing shows that (alt 0160) as the first character in the filename creates a space in the first position and this seems to work well to get the file to the top of the list, but I am looking for the best character to use.

:whistling:

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
I may be missing something here in what you're trying to achieve, but why not simply precede each filename with a number, starting with 0, 1, 2 etc., according to the order you wish them to be listed in Explorer?

scedel

scedel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Well that would be easy... but if you must know the whole story...

I have been running a persistant server for a couple years now and it is clear that the server that is at the top of the list gets the "fresh blood" first.

Until recently I have held the top spot with my server name starting with a "!" but I have lost the top of the list due to a competitor who has a SPACE in the first position of his game name. I have not been able to repeat this using alt 0160 or alt 032. These 2 functions result in spaces, but they actually are sorted after the alphanumeric characters.

My thinking is that in the heiarchy of sorting there are "other" alt functions that show as a space in a file name but are not actually a space.

I figured the easiest way to claim a permanent victory is to get my hands on the actual logic behind the sorting process in the first place. It must exist.

... but where to find this elusive prey? :whistling: