Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

tabbing out from any fullscreen games after 20+ mins of play...

• Please log in to reply

shinakuma9

shinakuma9

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
hi guys

usually i play warcraft 3 tft, but any fullscreen game i tab out of after 20-30+ mins of play, m ycomputer either locks up or LAGS ALOT, i cant tab back in to the game and i have to restart the computer. sometimes if my computer does reusme operating, my screen becomes all fuzzy or weird with lines. i didnt have this problem before i reformatted my computer, can anyone help?

system specs

pentium 4 cpu
2.8 ghz
512 mb ram
radeon 9200 gold edition graphics card
80 gb memory

Edited by shinakuma9, 21 July 2006 - 12:55 PM.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
due to how the game utilizes system resources they often aren't happy doing an alt/tab.

some things to make it easier:

1:)keep your pc defragged. If your have to reboot because it locks up frequently then I would recommend doing a checkdisk to keep your pc in good health.

2)add more memory. one of the reasons it lags out it because the system is having to swap a lot of informtion from the hdd cache to the memory. WHile 512megs ram is ok for gaming. 1gig would be much better.

3)upgrade your video card. You are running a cheap, low end, entry level gaming card. upgrading to an ati x series video cards (agp) would help you a lot in general.

3)change your habbits so your not alt/tabbing to do other things on the pc while gaming. Not an ideal answer but it would be the cheapest and easiest solution.