Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

urgently need a sata HD driver

• Please log in to reply

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I urgently need a driver for Samsung sp0812c SATA hard disk. When I download what I find at Samsung's dubious support section I get a message that I am missing txtsetup.oem file. I search it in Samsung's site and find nothing. I downloaded the file from driverguide.com but got an error message telling me that the first line of the file is not good.

In short, if someone has the driver and could attach it in here, it would help me a lot.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If this is to install Windows on, then you don't need a SATA driver for the hard drive as such, you need a driver for the SATA device that the hard drive is plugged into.

This you can usually get from your motherboard CD, either by a standalone file or by booting off of it.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks, Neil.

My problem is as follows: I got a computer in which windows is utterly corrupted. It boots and after about 2 minutes ends up with BSOD. CPU Temperature is somewhat high but tolerable, both in the bios and in Everest. There are tons of rubish on this computer which is quite new. Many windows routines do not function. In short it needs to be clean formated but I can't do this because windows setup doesn't recognize the disk, eventhough it shows up in boot sequence in the bios. I don't know if there is any significance for that but Everes define it as a SCSI disk eventhough it's a SATA.

The disk itself is good, I managed to format and install windows when I linked it to another computer. IDE works fine, I took an IDE drive and had no problem formatting and installing windows. It's only the SATA disk which doesn't work on any of the two SATA connections. I spent hours on this computer and came to the conclusion that it's either a bios problem or a missing SATA driver, eventhough Samsung, in the manual, says that no driver is needed and windows is supposed to identify it. I updated the BIOS (ASUS P4S800D-X) but that didn't make any difference. I looked in the motherboard original drivers disk but there is nothing there related to SATA. I feel that my last chance is to have Samsung original SATA driver but I can't get it from Samsung's downloads. That's why I look for the driver in G2G.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Couple of things:

Windows identifies SATA drives as being SCSI drives even though they aren't actually SCSI drives. Nothing to worry about.

In BIOS, there is often an option to tell the computer how to work with a SATA drive. This toggle often goes between "RAID" and "IDE". If one sets the option to IDE, the SATA drive operates as a normal drive for which (usually) no SATA driver is needed for Windows to be able to see it. If the toggle is set to RAID, then one would need the SATA driver disk. HAving looked at the manual for your board, this option is present, so by flashing the BIOS, the default setting looks like its RAID.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Hi Neil, thanks to your thoughtful comments.

Unfortunately the BIOS of this computer, even after installing the last update which is not a Beta version, has only one option related to SATA: Enable/Disable. I tried both without any success. All IDE option are set to AUTO. However, thanks for your reply. I'll have another look at the BIOS, maybe I missed something.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
This is therefore pointing to an issue with the board, as it would appear that you don't need a SATA disk for this one and it should just find it.

Other thing to try is another SATA port on the motherboard, most have two.

Failing this, the only other way you've going to be able to do this is to use another computer to get Windows started.

So basically, this means disconnect the HD from the other machine, hang your Samsung SATA HDD off of it, boot off the XP CD on the other machine, wipe the drive and let it copy everything it wants up to the first reboot. Don't let Windows load on the other machine as it will start tying itself to that machine.

When the computer wants to reboot for the first time, take the CD out and pull the power out. Now put your Samsung HDD back in your machine and reconnect it to the Asus motherboard. Power it up and reinsert your XP CD, but don't boot off of it. Follow the installation routine straight through and you should be set to go. Run the motherboard CD afterwards to fill in missing drivers and visit Windows Update.

The reason that this works is because during the first part of Windows Setup, it's just copying a bunch of files and doesn't really care what's providing the capability to allow it to do so. Your goal is simply to get your SATA hard drive to a state where it can boot on your own machine with no further intervention.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Hi, Neil.

1: I connected the SATA disk to each of the two ports on the motherboard, getting the same result.

2: I never tried what you suggest about partial installation of XP on another machine and completion on the original one. That's very interesting and I'll experiment with this procedure. I tried a full installation on another computer, hoping, as it happened to me in the past, that the system will be just stable enough to enable a repair installation and adaptation to the original hardware. It didn't work. As soon as windows started loading the computer rebooted itself.

3: This is the first time that I returned a computer to the owner without fixing it. The reason is purely political. We live in the north of Israel and due to the mess in Lebanon many people live in shelters or are confined to their homes. Under such circumstances I advised the owner to take the computer to another shop where they might have the missing driver. All that was done in order to save time and let the guy and his kids get the computer as soon as possible. Without it life is so much more miserable.

Thanks a lot, Neil. I appreciate your knowledge and goodwill.

Ami Yogev
Israel

HaraldR

HaraldR

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

I connected the SATA disk to each of the two ports on the motherboard, getting the same result.

Im afraid your missing one simple setting:
your system won't boot to/or see the sata unless you tell it

from Manual

In bios setup utility (section 2 .3.5 )

1. set sata to enable

2.Boot device Priority (section 2 .6.1 and 2.6.2)
set HD boot sequence to sata hard drive if it gives a choice if not then go to

Hard disk Drives

this specifies the order that the hard disc are set

select sata hard disc first,system will then ignore ide as primary boot

then winxp will boot and install to sata drive

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks, HaraldR.

I did everything that you mentioned. Sata is enabled in the BIOS. It is the only HD on this computer, no IDE drives. Boot order, for XP installation purpose, DVD first, Sata second. The disk is recognized in the BIOS, no problem there. However, when I boot the computer, at the point where you see which drives are connected, I get a message that SATA drive is not connected. When I install XP, after drivers are loaded and you are asked to press ENTER to install XP, I get a message that windows didn't find any storage device and I am only left with one option, "PressF3 to quit".

I believe it is either a faulty motherboard or that I need a SATA driver to be installed at an early phase of XP installation ("press F6 etc"). I would certainly like to have the driver first, before discarding quite a new motherboard.

By the way, the computer is not in my possession anymore. Thanks anyway.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks, HaraldR.

I did everything that you mentioned. Sata is enabled in the BIOS. It is the only HD on this computer, no IDE drives. Boot order, for XP installation purpose, DVD first, Sata second. The disk is recognized in the BIOS, no problem there. However, when I boot the computer, at the point where you see which drives are connected, I get a message that SATA drive is not connected. When I install XP, after drivers are loaded and you are asked to press ENTER to install XP, I get a message that windows didn't find any storage device and I am only left with one option, "PressF3 to quit".

I believe it is either a faulty motherboard or that I need a SATA driver to be installed at an early phase of XP installation ("press F6 etc"). I would certainly like to have the driver first, before discarding quite a new motherboard.

By the way, the computer is not in my possession anymore. Thanks anyway.