Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Modem assigned to shared Com1

• Please log in to reply

helen snow

helen snow

• Pip
  • 7 posts
HELLO I AM HELEN

I have a modem on my motherboard that is set to Com1

But some other driver is also now sharing com1 and I am getting Modem errors. I cannot talk to my modem anymore, how do I change my modem to look at another com port. I thought that com ports were virtuial on Windows Xp which is what I am using.

It is not possible to find the other driver, and rather than play hunt the driver, I'd rather just change the Com Port to Com2 or something

Can you help

Kind regards
Helen

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Start -> Control Panel -> System.

In system, go to Hardware -> Device Manager.

Expand "Modems" and double-click on the entry in there (you may have an entry in there for Bluetooth modem, don't select this one).

Click on the Advanced Tab and then "Advanced Port Settings". In there is your option. Set it to anything higher than COM3, as COM1 and COM2 are used for your serial connectors. OK back out.

helen snow

helen snow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Many Thanks :whistling:

Hi, Everything went well except that I do not have a button called
"Advanced Port Settings" , only change Default Prefs exists on that page....?

I tried what you suggestd on my laptop and I have the advanced port settings button, so I am not sure why it does nto exist on that machine....any ideas

helen snow

helen snow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I do not have a button called "Advanced Port Settings"

Any suggestions, anything please

Helen

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Most modems (eg PCI modems etc) use virtual com ports, as you suggested. These are normally com ports 3,4 or 5 as 1 & 2 are traditionally 'physical' com ports.
Unfortunately, it is often difficult to change a virtual com port assignment once it has been made.

You said your modem was using com1. Has it always used this port or has it changed?

What is the other device that is using (sharing) com 1?

Have you tried querying the modem? i.e go to control panel->phone & modem->properties->diagnostics). What response or error message do you get?

helen snow

helen snow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello,

When I did a query modem, it says "The modem failed to respond, make sure it is properly turned on, make sure the interrupt is correctly set"

If I dod a modem test, from a previous tab, it says that modem is correctly installed and running.

Any help will be appreciated
Helen

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi Helen

Can you do this for me please :
Download Everest from this link :
http://www.majorgeek...wnload4181.html

Run everest then click on the Report menu. Select Report Wizard, then select Hardware Related pages. Create the report as a MHTML file. When its finished compiling, save the report & then email it to me as an attachment :

storm36@blueyonder.co.uk

This will give me all the hardware info I need without having to ask you each time!