Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

SLOWLY DISAPPEARING Free Hard drive space!

• Please log in to reply

cgc13

cgc13

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Recently I've noticed my C 80 GB Drive's free space slowly dropping down.
It is at 1.49 GB now, last week it was at least 2GB, and five minutes ago it was 1.50!

Ran AVG, it found nothing.
Ran Adaware & Spysweeper, they found nothing.

It's scaring me!!

Any help is a appreciated! thank you!

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Windows uses the swap file quite a lot during normal use. If you look in task manager/ performance you will notice that the page file is usuallyaround 150-200 Mb. Windows will keep all data put in the page file until you close the program using the page file. Even then if the program is not coded to stop using the page file the files will stay open. The longer you run the computer the bigger it gets. Rebooting clears the page files so the puter is starting fresh again.

I am wondering how you defrag with so little space. Windows likes to have around 15% unused space on the HD to defrag properly. When i had less than 2 gigs on a 20 gig "C" drive i could not defrag at all. Fragmented files are combined in the page file so windows can better use the files. This causes a slowdown in the computer if theres a lot of fragmented files. If you ever turned the page file off you would find windows would take forever to do anything at all.

You really need more unused space for windows to run better. I would think about a second drive for data archive, or a larger HD.

SRX660

cgc13

cgc13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thanks so much for you reply.
I actually have 5 External Harddrives, for storage & back-up.
But I agree 100% that I need to do some cleaning.

I ran CCleaner, rebooted, and ran it again...
Now my C drive is at 1.45 GB, down .04 GB since I last wrote.

at this rate, the C drive will implode by tommorrow!

cgc13

cgc13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Ok, I deleted a bunch of stuff and Defraged my drive.

I'm now at 14.7 GB, although I was at 14.9 when I first did all that.

It seems to still be going down.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Look at the system restore settings as well to see if it is using 12% of the drive

Also look at running disc clean up, more options, clean up restore points

cgc13

cgc13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thanks Keith. System restor is using 12%...is that good or bad?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It has 9.6 GB of the drive allocated for system restore, you probably only need 5 GB at most so you could set it at 5 - 6 % click apply then run disc clean up, more options, clean up restore points

When the amount allocated is reduced, it just offloads the older restore points sooner, so it can make new ones

Older restore points have little or no value if you have loaded most of the programmes you are going to run on there, and the PC has performed well through a number of reboots, and for a number of days. Usually, if you set a restore point just before you install something, that is the restore point you would go for if whatever you just installed didn't run properly