Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help for a Total Computer Newb

• Please log in to reply

Super Jew

Super Jew

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey everyone. Long story short, I'm coming into some money and I'm gettingready to purchase a new computer for the very first time, the problem is is that I have -no- idea what system specs are good or what means what or what good video cards in, blah blah blah. I'm looking for a pre-built computer that is powerful enough to run various computer games(WoW, Civ IV, newer games, essentially), download a lot of music, internet, AOL, all that kind of stuff. Nothing too serious. I'm not going to be working from this computer or anything like that. If anyone can tell me a good computer or tell me how strong the whole thing should be, what kind of things I should look for, anything that can point me in the right direction would be really helpful. My price range is around six hundred dollars, but I certainly wouldn't cry if there was a good computer I could buy for cheaper than that.

Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate any help I can get.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Well, i have yet to build a computer that i would like to own for less than $800 for the tower alone. If you just want a pretty good computer and are not concerned about upgradability i would look at the H-P computers. They seem to have the most bang for the buck for stock manuf computers.

I like to be able to upgrade if needed so i usually pick the parts i want and assemble myself. It will be interesting when the new conroe intel cpu's come out. The last puter i built is a Aspire X Q-pack with a cedarmills 3.0 on a intel 945 board. Thermotake 430W PS, OCZ 1 gig PC667 ram, thermotake blue orb heatsink, WD 250 G Sata drive, Nec 3550a dvd-rw, lite-on dvdrom, SB audigy sound card, and some better quality fans still ended up costing $843. What i like about building myself is that every part can be replaced by buying another from newegg or equivelent on-line store. Try that with the custom designed parts in the factory computers.

SRX660

Pluto56

Pluto56

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Actually, I wouldn't have a HP computer if you gave me one. Well maybe if you gave it to me I would. Bad experience with one, won't happen again.
If you go to Dell's site, they have guides to help you select what you want, what you're looking for. Good hunting! Love my Dell!

SecretMaster

SecretMaster

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Actually, I wouldn't have a HP computer if you gave me one. Well maybe if you gave it to me I would. Bad experience with one, won't happen again.
If you go to Dell's site, they have guides to help you select what you want, what you're looking for. Good hunting! Love my Dell!

I'm sorry but I find Dell to be total crap.

Pluto56

Pluto56

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
everyone to his own experiences I guess.

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
For that price range, I think your best shot is to find a good sale at a retail outlet such as BestBuy or CompUSA. If you take your time and shop around you can find some pretty good bang for your buck. Here is an example, but there are many more out there:

http://www.compusa.c...T4016_Minitower

Take the extra $150 and upgrade your graphics card which will be a necessity if you want to play newer games. I'm assuming you already have a monitor.

Here's a complete package including monitor and printer:

http://www.circuitci...bundleDetail.do

Again, you'll have an extra $200 to upgrade your graphics card and add some more RAM.

Also, just as a guideline:
I would stick with an AMD 3500+ processor or better (personal preference over P4s)
At least 1GB of RAM
At least a Nvidia 6600GT graphics or better for newer games. You can find 6800GTs for around $100 on Newegg.com.
A DVD RW (which you'll need to burn movies)

I'm sure there are people who will disagree with me on these suggestions, but those are my thoughts.

Edited by kidnova, 27 July 2006 - 08:46 PM.