Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

old to new transfers

• Please log in to reply

h0tpants

h0tpants

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
hi, i was just upgraded to a new pc and was wondering what the easiest way to transfer all my files/music/videos/programs to my new pc would be. thanks.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The easist way is to take the old drive, set the jumper to slave in the back of the drive, and install it on the middle connector of the primary IDE cable in the new computer. The primary IDE is the one the hard drive that is already in the new computer is connected to. The second drive will show up as the next letter to what is already in the new computer. Say you have a cdrom and a dvdrom drive in the computer. The HD will be "C", the cdrom will be "D", and the dvdrom will be "E". The old drive you install will be "F". You can use Explore(right click my computer, click explore) to move whole folders over to the new drive.

What you cannot do is transfer programs from the old drive to the new drive. Most programs need to be installed so it can put the right files where needed so windows can run the program. If you saved the exe files from downloaded programs you can transfer them then double click the exe to install it on the new drive. Programs installed from cd's will have to be installed from the cd's again.

SRX660

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
There are a few ways you could go here, depending on a couple of factors. Please tell us the specifications of the computers and the operating system on each (eg Windows XP)

1) If they are both XP you could network the two and transfer between them. This will require either a special type of LAN cable called a crossover cable and a bit of setting up in the software OR a router into which you connect both computers via normal LAN cables.

2) If you are comfortable with the insides of a computer you could put the old hard drive into the new computer (we'd have to check its compatibility first).

3) You can put the old HD into an external USB case and connect it to the new one that way

4) If the old one has a DVD or CD burner you could burn and transfer (slow and tedious if you have large amounts of data - but hey, you'll have a backup :blink: )

Give us some more info on your two computers and we can advise you from there. :whistling:

EDIT: D'oh SRX you're too quick, I can't type that fast :help:

Edited by digikiwi, 22 July 2006 - 03:33 AM.

h0tpants

h0tpants

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
hey thanks for the replies. the comps. are basically the same except for one has DDR2 RAM (the old has DDR), both have P4 but newer one is faster, Windows XP Media Center on new one, ATI vid card instead of Nvidia. Both HDD's are SATA so if I can I guess I will just plug the old one in and transfer to new...will that work? thanks again.