Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton Systemworks 2006 Install Failed

• Please log in to reply

javajuan

javajuan

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Systemax Venture with Intel P4 at 3 Ghz, 1G RAM, XP Pro SP2

Having used Norton Systemworks for a couple years, I decided to get the latest 2006 version. It wouldn't finish the pre-install scan and will not install, it produces a "9999.171" fail code. All you get for suggestions from Norton's knowledge base is to use their unistall utilities and reinstall. Been there and done that several times.

After perusing several forums (not this one) I got Systweak Advanced System Optimizer, thinking the registry probably needs to be tidied up anyway and that it could be the root of the installation problem.... It will not finish any scan. Does not say why.

When Systemworks 2006 would not intsall, I had un-installed the old verson for trysies. Now that 2006 won't install no matter what, I figured I'd put the old one back on for some security..... NO JOY. ugh

Now What ? Any ideas, anyone ?

Thanks,
javajuan - not a newbie, but not a power-user either, need it in english

(PS, when Norton said to get their un-install utilities, they would not download because of 'ActiveX' issues, ie: "No ActiveX..." I had to use some brute force finangling to get the files saved.... Are ActiveX issues part of the problem with the installs ???? I've done the 'manage Plug-ins' thing and can't get any of them to 'Udpate'..... looks suspicious, but I don't know what it means.)

Run out of PSs for now, more probably needed...

hope someone has a clue.
somewhat desparate and definitely frustrated

Advertisements

Haz

Haz

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Hi you might try this http://www.majorgeek...mNRT_d4749.html
Goog Luck!

divi33

divi33

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Had the same issue on a friend's computer. Downloaded & installed ccleaner. Select issues button. Told to scan registry for issues. First time came up with over 200 issues. Told to fix issues. Selected Back-up registry & fix all..... Scanned again and fixed (no reg backups this time) and continued until I kept getting the same number (61 issues). At this point I right clicked and told to open key in REGedit. Right clicked on key and selected permissions and gave full control. Close editer. Repeat for the remaining keys. Have CCleaner fix the Keys & scan again until no problems found. Restart & install. Worked like a charm.