Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE not working for XP

• Please log in to reply

satiatesammie

satiatesammie

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Okay well I'd just gotten a laptop, and a few days ago my internet just stopped working. I don't know how many processes a laptop should normally have, but I had 57 and my CPU usage was constantly going up to 100%. I don't know what any of that meant, but I'd experienced it on our family's PC before so I figured I had some kind of problem. I did a system restore and it went down to 47 and my usage went back to normal, but my internet still wouldn't work. I just want to know if this sounds like something I could fix myself or if I have to call someone. Any help is appreciated.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you get page cannot be displayed or DNS Error

Click start, control panel, network and internet, network connections, right click it, click status, what does it show

satiatesammie

satiatesammie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I can't just right click on network connections, I have to click on it because I have multiple connection options. I use a wireless connection, and as far as its status, it's connected. My speed is 48.0 Mbps, signal strength is excellent. Under activity, it says 145 packets sent 90 received.

Edited by satiatesammie, 22 July 2006 - 09:14 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
With that window open, does the figure stay constant if you try to get a web page, or get e-mail

Run this on the PC, you will need a PC which can connect to get the file, save it to floppy / CDR then run it on this PC

http://www.snapfiles...nsockxpfix.html

satiatesammie

satiatesammie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I don't think I have a floppy drive on my laptop.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
A data CDR will do, though multisession because it is only 1.37MB

satiatesammie

satiatesammie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
CDR? Eh, this computer can't doesn't have a CD burner.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
DVD Burner will write to CDR

Can you get someone to download and save it for you?

satiatesammie

satiatesammie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yeah that's what I was thinking. I hope this works, thanks for your help (:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
An outside chance is to clear the temporary internet files folder, include offline content, delete cookies and delete history, tools, internet options, general on a web page, doesn't matter if it connects or not, then close and try opening IE