Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD Rom problems

• Please log in to reply

garfluver

garfluver

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Hi!

Have a Dell Dimension 8300 with 16X DVD ROM and 8X DVDRW Drives. ( 1 yr. old March 14 )

My problem (which started a few weeks ago) is that the DVD ROM isn't recognizing any disks when they are put in. (whether games, music, or DVDs) I did a device check...it recognizes the drive. When I go to "My Computer" and look in the E: Drive...whatever disk I have in the drive doesn't show up.

I used the "Maxell Lens Cleaner" ...that started up right away. Then I put in another disk...and again...it didn't recognize it. I put the cleaner disk in again, but the 2nd time it didn't recognize it in the drive and didn't start up.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Garfluver

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

It seems others are having that problem I don't know if this will help much but try here

Rick

garfluver

garfluver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Hi Rick,

I checked out the site you gave me...they are trying to help too. In the meantime...I called DELL support. (Very frustrating!) After finally getting to talk to someone she had me try a couple of things in F2, F12...then she had me take the computer lid off and check the cables. I put in a DELL resource disk and that worked...but my music or game CDs and DVDs still aren't recognized. She said it wasn't a drive problem that it must be something with the set up of my computer. (I can't think of anything I've done different...it's worked the same for almost a year)

One thing I did notice when working with the DELL forum is that when I did a device check and went to the IDE ATA / ATAPI controllers this is what it looks like:

Intel®82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controller
Intel®82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controller
Primary IDE Channel
Primary IDE Channel
Secondary IDE Channel

Why would those 1st 2 be listed twice? or are they supposed to be? Could this be the possible problem? :tazz:

Thanks for any info,
Garfluver

garfluver

garfluver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
I've run a HJT log and posted in the spyware/malware forum. Seems my computer is clean...what else could it be? :tazz: ;) I updated the firmware...didn't seem to make much difference except now the game starts to bring up its "title page" of the game...then an error message of cannot locate CD comes up...please insert CD...

Anyone with any ideas?

Garfluver

garfluver

garfluver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Thought I'd send along an update on my DVD-CD ROM drive...incase anyone else ever has this problem. Hopefully your outcome will be better than mine.

In the past week, I contacted DELL once by phone and 2 times by online chat before trying one last time today. Guess what? Good news...finally got someone who could help me...was told that my drive needs to be replaced. Which was nice to know...finally an answer. The bad news (you knew there'd be some didn't ya?)
...was told that my warranty ran out the 23rd...yep 2 days ago!! ;) So they won't replace it. I have to buy a new drive!! ( I even begged...pleaded! Ü Mentioned that I tried to resolve the problem before the 23rd, but that didn't work either.) I think they will get a friendly letter from me with my opinion of their support services! ;)

So...guess we need to keep pestering them for help until we hear what we want to hear. I'll definitely keep "rechatting" until I get someone who can give me an answer next time! (Although, hopefully there won't be a next time!) :tazz:

-garfluver

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hold on a minute, I had a computer this week and a cdw drive would not work but it was recognized in bios, I reinstalled drivers and device manager reported it as a bad drive. I then put a known working drive in and same thing so I knew it was something with windows/drivers.

My solution was to do a repair install of windows xp and that worked, maybe you could try it.

Rick

garfluver

garfluver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
How does one go about doing a "repair install" of windows xp??

I already tried the uninstalling/reinstalling drivers part. My device manager recognized the drive as A-OK though.

I may try the repair install though...haven't got anything to lose now do I? :tazz:

Garfluver

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
No you probly have nothing to lose so go here

Rick

rustycage73

rustycage73

• Pip
  • 3 posts