Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP shuts down on its own

• Please log in to reply

d6g2

d6g2

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hello:

I was instructed to post in this forum as my issue might; or might not, be malware related.

refer to this link for more detailed info:

http://www.geekstogo...lp-t121538.html

Please can somebody help me I have multiple trouble with my windows XP which is result of malware I think.

Here is what's happening, I have shutdowns upon starting my computer. That's only in Normal mode. Safe Mode works fine, never had any trouble there at all. It always seems to shutdown after about two minutes because my Avast, SygateFirewall, and sound configuration icon loads up in the taskbar, error message pops up ("system has just recovered drom a serious error") I click "Don't Send" after that HardDisk LED is still on...then it shuts down.

Yesterday, I tried to start the computer from the other profile and surprisingly it worked, only immediately after reboot 5 errors popped up in the row. I clicked "Don't Send" and computer ran about 4 hours then it restarted on its own. I was not able to use my, or any other profile, except for Safe Mode.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Advertisements

Donarudo

Donarudo

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Should try scanning for virusses if you have long enough to do that HAHA. Nah but seriously... you should running task manager under processes and check to see if there's any suspicious or unwanted applications running.

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
I am very reluctant to give advice while you have a HJT Log pending. Any changes you make will negate the efforts of the HJT Team who i proccessing your log. Any changes you make also change the solution the HJT Team will work up for you. The solution you will receive is not a canned response. It will be as unique as your computer's configuration. The best advice you can get is be patient and wait for your HJT Log to be proccessed. IMO

d6g2

d6g2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hello acklan:

I am not waiting to get my HJT log processed anymore. We already did that in Malwre forum for the last 10 days. It is just they are not sure what to do anymore as this might not be malware anymore. It was recommended to me to post in this Windows XP forum to try my luck. If you know what to do please let me know, I would greatly appreciate it.

If you click this link you will see they already tried to help me. My Hijack Log is included there as well.

http://www.geekstogo...lp-t121538.html

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
While we appreciate the fact that you want to help out, we do not allow non-Staff Members to post Malware help on the boards. There are too many things that could go wrong. Many of our members are not well trained in computer operation and do not have the skills required to remove these infections on their own. After all, if they could remove the infection safely on their own, they woudln't be asking us for assistance. We prefer to have these issues fixed in the controlled environment of the malware forum with the assistance and guidance of our Malware experts. I hope you can understand the sensative nature of this.

If you are interested in training to become a Staff Member, please post Here

Thank you for your cooperation!
If you have any issues with this policy please PM a Moderator or Admin

Edited by dsenette, 24 July 2006 - 09:55 AM.

d6g2

d6g2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi, that is strange because I never had any problems with "FlashGet" I installed the program myself and it should by legit. My problems are shutdows upon start up and being unable to run "Windows Update" as computer shuts down after I attempt to do so.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
try ....ctrl..alt...delete and see whats running

are you able to select any windows updates and install them one at a time
rather than all of them at once

you could go in safemode and diable some of your start ups until you get ur windows update complete
then enable your start ups

go start...click run...type msconfig....click ok...click on the start up tab...uncheck your getflash program

you can always start it back by going there and put a check mark back give that a try

then try your updates

d6g2

d6g2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I am able to select windows updates that's not a problem. Trouble occurs when I am installing it won't let me do that. I was trying that safe mode but that's somehow messed up because error on the page pops out, so I can't install them from there. I got rid of the FlashGet as well. After reboot I am running 36 processes; everything seems to be legit. I tried msconfig I only have 9 programs to start with windows and all are essential. FlashGet was never one of them. One more problem is that I cannot access my Windows Firewall.

an error message appears:

"Due to an unidentified problem, Windows cannot display Windows Firewall settings."

that don't bothers me as much, I am running another firewall on my computer.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
are all your configuration set in your firewall like you should be able to set them

make sure they are at there default mine on this computer are at medium

does your security have parental control check the settings in there some where in your security settings your not allowing world wide web port 80

d6g2

d6g2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
My firewall is set to Normal mode which is default. And the settings are "Medium." I checked on that port 80 is allowed.

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
your sygate personal firewall did you download it or did you install it from cd

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
before you upgraded your firewall what was wrong with previous one

if it was ok why dont you go back and use it

sygate may not be compatible with your current windows

maybe ok if you update them without sygate

but be sure you have firewall when you do decide

good luck

lorothrigs

lorothrigs

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
FlashGet is legit and causes no spyware.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
if it is a legit site ...then why does it show up at hijack remote.com

http://www.hijackrem...reDetail65.aspx

if your using it frequently then by all means reinstall it

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

an error message appears:

"Due to an unidentified problem, Windows cannot display Windows Firewall settings."

that message probably comes up because sygate has disabled the windows firewall (it shouldn't cause an actual error message...it should just disable it...but it's possible

whoever the original poster is here...try the instructions bellow
In safe mode:

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose the SETTINGS button in the Startup And RECOVERY section, and uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART

Now reboot. This should result in the BSOD error...report the STOP ERROR and any parameters.